Bony Bumps Reappearing 2 Months After Rhinoplasty, Is This Permanent?

21 yr old male 2 months post op. Large hump and sides shaven down as well as an osteotomy, nothing to tip. Upon cast removal I was extremely pleased with results, very small bump left (much smaller than pre op) and smaller and smooth sides/width. The following days and up until now my nose has redeveloped noticeable and feelable hard bumps on the sides and bridge (hard like bone) looking exactly like it did pre op. Is this just swelling? Or do i need a revision? Becoming quite depressed over it.

Bony bumps after rhinoplasty

+1

2 months is relatively early to make a definite judgement. Picture would also be helpful. Some swelling has subsided and it is possible that some irregularity that was not apparent immediately after surgery have now appeared. It is best to discuss this with your PC and be patient. Revision is not usually considered in  less than a year.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bony regrowth after rhinoplasty

+1

Keep in mind that bone is living tissue. Therefore, it is entirely possible for some bone to regrow or calcifications to occur where you have had a previous bony hump removed. There are some conservative things you can do during the healing process like taping that part of your nose flushly as much during the day as you can. Sometimes your physician might consider the judicious use of steroid shots to inhibit bony regrowth. I would follow up with your surgeon to be sure. In the worst scenario, if some bony regrowth happens, it can usually be treated very simply at a year or so with some in office filing.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

You should wait a year to two years before knowing the final outcome of your rhinoplasty surgery. It generally takes at least a year for the swelling to subside and the final results of a rhinoplasty to be visible. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Bony Bumps 2 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose will change as the swelling resolves after rhinoplasty. The bumps you describe 2 months after surgery may not be permanent, but time will tell.  If you and your surgeon are not ultimately not satisfied, treatment can vary from something as simple as injections to revision surgery.

Many Post-op Bumps Are Temporary

+1

Hello, Shawn from Covina.

In the second month after surgery, it is not unusual for Nature to be doing some repair work , " welding" the bones and cartiage together. Sometimes, during that process an extra layer of bone or scar tissue is formed to facilitiate such healing. They tpically begin to recede in the third month after surgery.

Sometimes,if  they do not disappear,  further treatment is necessary. Often, an office treatment of certain injections is all that it takes. Hard to say without seeing and feeling the problem.

One thing for sure, you should visit your surgeon. Let him or her look and feel and give an opinion on what is going on and how long it will take to resolve  And, if the bumps  stay, the doctor can tell you his or her game plan for controling them.

-Robert Kotler, MD, FACS

Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Robert Kotler, MD

Postop Rhinoplasty

+1

Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  It is difficult to make any type of recommendation without knowing what you looked like before the surgery and what was done.  Hopefully your surgeon is a board certified specialist who can guide you in the postoperative period.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Rhinoplasty and Bumps

+1

Hello Shawn,

I am sorry you are seeing problems with your result after rhinoplasty.  Unfortunately, I don't know what your surgeon did, or how you looked before surgery, immediately after surgery, and today.  I will go out on a limb based on what you have posted, and say that I suspect you are having an issue in an area that is prone to problems after rhinoplasty, the area where the nasal bones and the cartilage of the side of your nose (upper lateral cartilages) meet.

This area frequently becomes an issue after the swelling subsides, revealing a 'step off' between cartilage and bone, looking like a new bump.  If this is what is happening to you (and I really don't know without evaluating you), then you could be a candidate for a temporary filler to resuspend the cartilage and smooth the area.  I would not, however, have anyone inject steroids into this region where the skin is so thin, it will not only make the problem worse, but could also creat new problems with the skin itself.

Go back to your doctor and ask him if he thinks this will improve or not with time.  If he diagnosis a cartilage step off, it will not improve with time, and then you and he will need to decide how to proceed: the use of a filler or waiting until a revision surgery can be executed.  Frequently a filler, usually a hyaluronic acid like Juvederm, can solve the problem completely for a long period of time (one to two years).

Don't be depressed, this problem will have a solution and you will eventually be satisfied.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

+1

Without knowing what was doen to your nose during your Rhinoplasty, it's impossible to say.  You should bring this up with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  It might be nothing more than residual swelling tht could be massaged away.

Bony

+1

Without pictures, it is very hard to advise you. In any case, you are too early in the healing curve to worryand far too early to talk about revision surgery. Keep seeing your surgeon

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

New hump or swelling

+1

Swelling after a rhinoplasty can last up to a year so it is difficult to judge the postoperative results unti then.  You can be feeling swelling, scar tissue or residual bone.  I usually won't recommend a revision until the swelling has had time to resolve.  Some surgeons will inject steroids to help with the inflammation and scar tissue during this timeframe.  Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon