Do Bones Swell After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago and although I am aware my nose is in the very early stages of healing I am concerned about how thick the bone looks from the front. It looks great from the side and the tip looks great even though it is still very swollen, from the front it looks thick and square. I have been told that this will go down in a couple of months but I'm not sure - does your nasal bone swell after rhinoplasty?

Nasal bones after rhinoplasty

+1

The bones themselves do not swell. The soft tissue around them swell and this can affect the way the nose looks for several months.

Bones dont swell

+1

The nasal bones don't swell after surgery. In fact they are often intentionally made smaller by rasping and filing away some of the bone. The surrounding flesh certainly does. This is what sounds like you are concerned about. At this stage of your healing you must wait. It hard to do, but you need time to work on your side. It will become clear later if there is anything of concern left.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Bone Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Yes, nasal bones can swell after rhinoplasty.  It may take 6 to 12 months for the swelling to resolve.  Be patient and enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty Swelling of Nose

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty plastic surgery is expected, especially if bone has been refined with osteotomy. Most swelling resolves within 2-4 weeks. Nasal swelling will continue to improve for the next 12 months or longer, depending on the many variables. The swelling that one sees is not the bone per se, but rather all the tissue around the bone. Follow the advice of your rhinoplasty surgeon to help reduce cosmetic rhinoplasty swelling of the nose. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible to critique your nose 2 weeks after surgery. The swelling is not in your bones, but in the soft tissues and your skin. You will see significant changes over the next month, but your result will continue to improve for 6-12 months.

Judging rhinoplasty results at 2 weeks postoperatively

+1

Rhinoplasty surgery is notorious for taking a long time to heal, especially when an osteotomy has been performed.

While most patients see a nice result the moment the splint comes off, swelling in many patients takes a full 6 months to resolve, or in the case of revision nasal surgery a full year.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Nasal Bone Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

At 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty most of the swelling should be  resolving. It sound like you may have not had an adequate osteotomy to narrow your nasal bones.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty postoperative swelling

+1

After a rhinoplasty procedure, the thickness is a result of the swelling of the skin overlying the bone.  The bone itself does not swell.  It usually takes 6 months for the swelling to recede to visualize the final result.

William J. Binder, MD