Bone Resorption with Cheek Implants?

I've come across several articles regarding bone resorption with silastic chin implants. That the material is causing pressure on the bone and is therefore through the years "shaving" it down a few millimetres. I am soon getting cheek(bone) implants. Does bone resorption usually happen with implants on the cheekbone area as well? If so, how can one reduce this issue as much as possible?

Bone resorption with cheek implants

+1

While bone resorption does occur with implants directly placed over the bone, it is usually a minimal amount,1-2 mm of bone resorption over many years.  We have performed many silastic cheek implants and have never seen a problem with bone resorption in the cheek area.

Bone Resorption with Cheek Implants?

+1

I frequently use Cheek and Chin IMplants for facial augmentation and have done so for over 25 years.  I only use silastic implants and believe they are superior to all other implant materials.   Although bone absorption is possible with Chin Implants very infrequently, bone found around the implant is far more common IMHO and represents a localized reaction of the implant on the bone.  This is most likely due to the large Mentalis muscle that moves constantly with chewing and facial animation.  This however is rarely an issue.

For Cheek Implants, the muscles above the implants are not as large or active as the Mentalis muscle and therefore the amount of absorption or bone reaction, to the implant, is minimal.  I have removed many older silastic Cheek Implants, that were placed 20 years earlier elsewhere and there was no evidence of bone changes below the implant.  I believe Cheek Implants are the best tolerated implants in the body.  

Cheek implants

+1

There is a small amount of bone resorption with implants after several years, but should not be of much consequences.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bone Resorption with Cheek Implants?

+1

Bone resorption can occur with any silicone implant over time.It is more commonly seen with silicone chin implants

My preferenec for augmenting the cheek is the use of injectables including Sculptra, Radiesse and fat . The survival of fat injections to the cheek can be enhanced with the addition of PRP, platelet rich plasma

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bone resorption with cheek implants.

+1

Yes this happens. But is not clinically significant.  It is the best option for cheeks iny 35 year experience. 

Bone Resoprtion with Silicone Implants

+1

Hi,

There is very little bone resorption with facial implants. The resorption is not clinically significant. There is little you can do about it but it is of no consequence.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS