Can Bone Regenerate After Steroid Injection? I've Been Left With a Depression.

I had rhinoplasty 3 months ago to remove my dorsal hump. Initially I was very pleased with the results, though 2 months after I noticed a bump appear. My plastic surgeon injected a steroid and eventually the bump did go down, however it appears to have caused a depression in the area beside. Just wondering if the bone can regenerate, and if so, how long would that take?

+2

Steroid injections into the nasal tissues after a Rhinoplasty can cause depressions.  For that reason, IMHO it's best to use limited amounts of kenalog 10 and not 40, to space these injections at  least 1 month apart and only perform them during the healing phase of the Rhinoplasty so if a slight depression happens...further healing without steroid shots will fill in the dip.  Kenalog affects the soft tissue, not the cartilage or bone.

Steroids after rhinoplasty

+2

Steroid injections can lead to soft tissue atropy and will not produce bone regeneration.  Probably the hump you noted after surgery was due to swelling.  You should wait at least a year before deciding if a revision is needed.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Steroid shots after rhinoplasty

+2

Steroid shots, or Kenalog injections, are used for soft tissue swelling/scar tissue, not bone.

If you have a depression after the steroid shot, it is likely that it is a loss of soft tissue and not bone. You may require a soft tissue filler to address thos issue,

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depression After Steroid Injection

+1

It is not unusual for steroid injection to cause a depression in the skin and soft tissue - this typically resolves in a few weeks to months

Sam Naficy, MD