I Have Bone Loss, Front Teeth Shifted After Dental Implants

I just found out I have bone loss, is that why my front teeth shifted after my dental implants?? My smile is different now, not to happy since 2 front teeth are protruding forward, shame since I wore braces in my late 20's, also had some 6 teeth pulled in the past 10 years due to root canals that weren't capped, any advice other than to have regular cleanings (for bone loss) @ my dentist to preserve the rest of my teeth,also how to restore my front teeth to thier prior look?? Thanks in advance!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Bone loss and teeth shifting

+2

Some types of bone loss may be treated by grafting while others do not respond well to treatment. It sounds to me that you need a good evaluation by a prosthodontist, perhaps oral surgeon or orthodontist. Your dentist should give you the proper direction for what type of specialist you should see.

Dr. Kazemi

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Teeth Shifting and Bone Loss

+2

Without photos it is difficult to give a reliable diagnosis or treatment.  It sounds as if you have periodontal disease with the associated bone loss.  If your teeth are shifting from this, they will most likely have a poor prognosis for long term.  A consultation with a board certified Oral & Maxillofacial surgeon and your restoring dentist and/or a prosthodontist is where you should begin.  An orthodontist consult may be suggested by them as well, but if you have severe periodontal diseas then orthodontics will not be advisable.  Hope this helps in your decision making

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Gum Disease and Treatment Options

+2

It sounds as though with your dental history that you need to seek a consultation with a board certified periodontist.  There may be some periodontal treatment needed to ensure that you keep your remaining teeth.  I believe that you should be getting your teeth cleaned about every 3-4 months to avoid further problems.  I would discuss your options for replacing your missing teeth as well to avoid shifting and bite problems in the future.  Hope this helps. 

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Gum disease and bone loss.

+2

Bone loss is usually due to bacteria and/or mal-occlusion.  Bacteria beneath the gum line can cause a very aggressive oral disease called periodontitis. Periodontitis is the reason of tooth loss for most of the dental community.  If your teeth are shifting, it is a high possibility that you could have potential periodontal problems. In order to correct periodontal disease, a complete periodontal examination must be completed. During this exam the level of bone loss will be measured. This helps diagnose the current condition of your mouth. An occlusal analysis should be performed as well, to help determine if there are any interferences that could cause bone loss and movement of the teeth in question. If there is an occlusion problem or an occlusal interference it must be removed and the tooth or teeth must be stabilized.  If you have lost 6 posterior teeth, you are likely using your anterior teeth more than normal and in the incorrect fashion. A regular cleaning is not indicated for bone loss and active gum disease. I hope this helps.

Dr. C

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Does teeth shift after implants

+2

Having a healthy bone is the foundation of success of implants short or long term . You might try to get a retainer also, so that your teeth do not shift any further, then try to see if you can get some sort of antibiotic treatment to keep the area more sterilized not to get further bone loss. Also you need to be seen every three months for sure, and get water picks, mouth rinses, brush and floss, and irrigate the areas of bone loss and hopefully the entire mouth..

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

How to address bone loss and movement of the teeth

+2

Bone loss is serious problem that most often is caused be periodontal disease. If you were just  informed about that my best advise would be to find a periodontists ( specialist who  treats gum disease) and have him evaluate your case. If periodontist will find any periodontal pathology that is causing the bone loss he (or she) will propose a treatment. Sometimes it involves professional deep cleaning, sometimes it requires some more extensive gum surgery. You have mentioned that your front teeth are protruding, that falls within the lines of periodontal pathology and sometimes it takes a team of specialist to resolve those situations (in your case it might be a periodontist, orthodontist and restorative specialist - Prosthodontist. Let me assure you that your dental implants did not have any effect of  shifting of your teeth, but keep in mind that periodontal disease can affect success of implants. Going to the regular cleaning looks like is not enough in your situation and you should seek help of periodontist.  Good luck!

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist