Can Bone Loss Be Corrected in Teeth?

I have bone loss in my lower gums as a result of being on long term steroids and possibly some periodontal problems. This has caused my 5 lower teeth to become loose. Is there a something that can be done to correct the bone loss and tighten the loose teeth?

Seek out a Periodontist

+2

Sounds like you have a periodontal issue and you should find a periodontist to help you.  Depending on the extent of bone destruction, you may be able to save your teeth and in some cases, regenerate lost bone, with proper professional care. There may be non-surgical or surgical options to help you along with the possibility of splinting your teeth for support.  I hope this information is helpful to you.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

I've lost bone around my teeth. Can my bone loss be corrected?

+1

The short answer is "yes, sometimes".  You would be best served to have a consultation with a periodontist (gum specialist) and see if your situation makes you a candidate for one of the various bone augmentation procedures.

But more importantly is that before having any treatment you should have a diagnosis to tell you why you lost gum and bone tissue around your teeth?  If it was caused by long term steroids like you say, and you are still using that medication, then even with bone augmentation you might find that the bone loss is uncontrollable. 

If it was a result of periodontal disease and poor oral hygiene, has your daily regimen of caring for your teeth and gums improved?  Are your gums puffy, red and bleed easily?  Your periodontist would need to make sure that you are delivering optimal oral hygiene at least daily before he/she would do any bone augmentation procedure.

Another often overlooked cause of bone loss is your bite (occlusion).  If you grind your teeth and/or clench them together with much force, which frequently occurs at night while you're sleeping, this can also cause gum recession and bone loss. 

If your periodontist feels that the bone around your teeth has already lost too much, then there are other ways of correcting the problem.  He might discuss dental implants or bridges as an alternative to the gum surgery and bone augmentation.

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Bone Loss Can Be Corrected.....

+1

Bone loss may be corrected with reconstructive periodontal surgery if the periodontal structures surrounding the teeth are healthy.  Bone grafting may be indicated for loose teeth but the teeth would have to be stabilized, often times with a fixed prosthesis if the graft is to be successful.  Bone loss surrounding loose teeth may become more stable once the teeth and disease process is removed.  Then implants can be placed.  If the periodontal structures have minor bone loss, a simple and non-surgical procedure such a scaling may be performed.  Whenever a patient has a periodontal disease, it would be wise to seek the recommendation of a periodontist before initiating treatment.  Good luck with your treatment and let us know how everything works out.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Preventing further bone loss and loose teeth.

+1

The most common cause of loose teeth is due to bone loss which is most commonly caused by periodontal disease.  Depending on the extent of the bone lost such mobility can be reversed with proper periodontal therapy which might include root planing and laser treatment.  In certain situation regeneration of bone may occur.  The sooner you address such problems the more favourable result you will be able to achieve.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

How to Correct Bone Loss in Teeth

+1

Depending on the extent of bone loss and your overall dental and periodontal condition, you may be able to tighten the teeth in question with as conservative a procedure as scaling and root planing or something more involved such as periodontal surgery.  Finding a qualified periodontist(s) for a thorough diagnostic workup who will work in close communication with your general or cosmetic dentist will be a great starting point.

Dallas Cosmetic Dentist

Can bone loss be reversed

+1

If one is facing the "loose' teeth issues, the bone loss is advanced. Usually when teeth are loose when  a minimum of 50% of bone is lost. In cases such as this, extraction and replacement with implants may be the solution.However, implants too need solid bone and impeccable oral hygiene. That means 3 month cleanings , water pick, mouth rinse three times a day  added to regular brushing and flossing. placement of antibiotic under the gum whenever needed. That is IF you have enough bone for the e implants. Other option is extraction and bridge placement. Most important is to do something soon. if you allow loose teeth remain in the jaw bone, your bone loss is expedited.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Loose lower teeth

+1

If you have only five loose lower teeth remaining, they likely won't be stable for the long term regardless of attempts to improve them.  You would have a more predictable result if you had these remaining teeth removed and had dental implants placed to hold onto a denture.  You would then have a good ability to eat and smile without worry.  A consultation with a dentist that places and restores dental implants would be a good bet.

Ottawa Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting bone loss around teeth.

+1

This is a very good question and a really hard one to answer without more information, I will try my best.

Bone loss around teeth happen for many reasons including periodontal disease, trauma, smoking etc.  If the teeth are lose then they can be splinted together and this will prolong you keeping them in your mouth. 

Other treatments aimed at curbing the gum disease my help in keeping these teeth longer.  These treatments may include aggressive deep cleanings, resective gum surgery and sometimes regenerative osseous therapy.  Ultimately though the lose teeth are weak and depending on your age will likely be lost and replaced with dental implant supported teeth. 

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants for Loose Lower Teeth

+1

You have stated that you have  a history of periodontal disease and now have only five lower teeth remaining.  With these five teeth being loose the odds are that they will have a poor long term prognosis.  You would probably be well served by having the remaining five teeth extracted and having dental implants.  The  implants could be placed at the time the teeth are extracted.  After 4-6 months of healing you could have a denture made to attach to the implants.  This would give you a stable restoration that you could chew foods comfortably with. I would seek a consultation wit a dentist that specializes in implant dentistry.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist