Bone Loss and Immediate Implants?

A piece of my tooth broke off 4 months ago and I experienced no pain so i assumed I will be ok. But last week ago, I experienced pain in my tooth and my gum or cheek swelled up. My tooth doesn't hurt anymore and the swelling is decreasing but I noticed a bit of movement with my tooth when I play around with it with my finers. Does this mean I have bone loss? I was planning for immediate implants after the extraction. Can i still have it? can bone dissolve that fast? I am only 23 years old.

Bone Loss and Immediate Implants?

+1

The health of the bone where failing teeth are now, or where they used to be is a critical factor in deciding if immediate implants are right for you.

I'm concerned that you probably have a gum abscess and likely at least some bone loss. When you have that much infection, you may not be a candidate for immediate dental implants. Infections are serious things-they can put you in the hospital.

In my opinion, the goal now is to stop the spread of infection. If conditions are perfect, then you might still be able to have an immediate implant, but I think that's secondary to your health.

I would get in as soon as possible and just have the root out.

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Immediate Dental Implants

+1

As mentioned previously, you may have an abscess associated with your broken tooth.  This is an infective process and an immediate implant should not be placed in most instances.  If the abscess is chronic you may very well have bone loss. Instead the tooth should be extracted and the site prepared for a delayed implant with any associated bone grafting and / or tissue grafting at the time of extraction.  Placing an implant in an infected site will lead to a poor outcome in mostinstances leading to more necessary surgery and poor esthetics.  Seek the advice of a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon for your individual case

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Immediate Dental Implant For Abcessed Tooth

+1

Based on what you are describing, you are most likely dealning with an abcessed tooth that should be treated as soon as possible.  You should see a dentist right away to have a dental exam and x-ray of that area to determine the extent of the damage  and decide if an immediate implant can be placed.  Leaving this untreated could ultimately lead to a very painful situation that places your health at risk!  Because the situation has been left untreated for an extended period of time, the extraction site may need bone grafting prior to implant placement.  After 4-6 months of healing a dental implant could then be placed.  Hope this helps.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist