Can Bone Be Removed During Facelift/neck Lift and Used for Dental Implants?

If I need bone grafting for 3 dental implants is it possible to remove some bone while I am under anesthesia for a neck and face lift so that it can later be used for dental implants? I prefer to have the neck and face prior to the implants as not sure I will go forward with implants due the risk of osteoneurocosis.(sp?) I am in good health but have osteoporosis and am on Boniva. (higher risk of complications from implants). Thanks!

Bone for Dental Implants Harvested During Facelift

+2

I doubt facial bones are the best donor source for dental implants. It is always advantageous to use any tissue as soon as possible after harvesting. I do not recommend doing both procedures simultaneously.

Dental implants and facelift

+1

The bone that is required is the soft bone that reside between two plates of hard bone. I would not recommend having this done at the same time. The face lift is also a more sterile area than the mouth so cross contamination on bacteria can be an issue. 

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Bone grafting for dental implants

+1

Certainly bone graft can be harvested during your facelift, but usually the oral surgeons take it from the mandible if I am not mistaken. I have taken bone graft for other surgery procedures form the hip, from the elbow, and from the leg.

A Bone to Pick

+1

The bone can be removed but there are a couple things to consider.  The first issues is where will the bone be obtained  and how much is needed? Small amount of bone can be removed from the mandible but will require a separate incision.  If larger quantities are needed the face is not a good area to obtain large amounts.  Larger amounts are obtained from the hip.  Secondly,  if you are not performing the implants at the same time as your cosmetic procedure then there is no way to readily store your bone.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Bone Reshaping during Face Lift

+1

The bone, in addition to skin, fat, & muscle, changes with age. The entire facial skeleton is generally smaller & thinner as we get older. Those without teeth also have much thinner facial bones. Generally, patients who are face lift candidates should not have bone removed, since they need all the bone for a natural jaw line and high cheeks. In fact, chin or cheek implants are often placed to add to the bone structure. However, only after comprehensive evaluation with a face lift surgeon can he/she help determine appropriate options for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can bone be removed during facelift/neck lift?

+1

Interesting thought but not truly a good idea to bank self bone from a face/neck lift. Have you found any surgeon willing to do this? I doubt it. From MIAMI DR. B

Depending upon your neck-jaw relationships, the dental implants may be important to your look.

+1

Weakening of the jawline is a part of facial aging.

One of our most important ingredients in making the face more youthful is the analysis of the dentition and how they relate to the defining points between the face and neck.

You need to explain to the plastic surgeon what you plan to do and how it might relate to the outcome of your plastic surgery.

The time to harvest the bone for your implants is when the dental specialist is preparing you for the implants.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Bone graft harvest for dental procedure during a face lift

+1

Generally it is best to place the bone immediately rather than at a later date. Other than the chin, there are few places on the face to obtain the graft during a facelift.