How Much Bone Erosion Should I Expect for a Chin Implant That Was Taken Place 1.5 Yrs Ago?

I had a 5mm silastic chin implant inserted from inside of my mouth 1.5 yrs ago. I'm planning to remove it soon because I prefer the original me over the implant. However, I have some worrisome about the bone erosion that is brought by the chin implant and issue about loose skin. What and how should I expect the recovery? Will I be swollen for a long time? Should I expect any difficulties in speaking for a short period of time? Will I be able to get back to the pre-op chin? Many thanks!

Jaw bone resorption after chin implant

+3

Generally, the bigger the implant, the bigger the bony resorption. Rarely does this cause any functional problems. The short  amount of time that it has been in place, the less amount of any resorption. Often times fine bone will grow on top of the implant which could provide some residual augmentation even though the implant has been removed and I agree that collagenous capsule will also help retain some volume despite the removal of the implant.

Given the short amount of time, I doubt you will have any problems with its removal.

Your chin should look similar to your pre-op appearance if you have your implant removed.

+2

I read your concern. Even though you may experience a small amount of bone resorption from your chin implant surgery 1.5 years ago, your body has formed a capsule around your silastic implant. That fibrous capsule may be left in your body, and this small amount of volume from the capsule may negate any bony volume-loss that may have occurred.

Removal of a silastic implant through an incision under your chin is fairly straightforward. Surgery should take around 30 minutes, and you should not experience a lot of discomfort or downtime. I see you had your implant placed through your mouth, and this may be how your surgeon plans to remove it. You'll have to ask him about swelling, downtime, and possible complications using that approach.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

+1

The implant can be removed, and considering it has been one and a half years there should be no bone resorption. expect some sweling nad may be weakness, temporary, of the lower lip

Chin Implant Removal Easier Than Its Placement

+1

I would have no concerns about bone erosion during or after your chin implant removal. That is an overblown concern that very rarely has any relevance. The chin implant is much simpler to remove than to put it in. It should be a quick procedure to do with a much more minimal recovery than when it was inintially placed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD