Can a Bone Asymmetry Be Improved 11 Days After Rhinoplasty Before the Bone "Settles"?

Two of my concerns before surgery were a nasal hump and bone asymmetry. The bone seems to have been filed down the correct amount to give me a straight profile on both sides. However, when seen from one angle, the nose looks straight, and when seen from the other angle it looks as though I still have a bump. I attribute this to a persistent asymmetry and suspect the bone was not broken to correct this (only filed down). Can pushing down on the bone improve the outcome before the bone "settles"?

Possibly yes, but I wouldn't advise

+1

Possibly yes but most of the time this is due to asymmetry and I wouldn't advise going back at such an early phase

Assymetry post rhinoplasty

+1

My suggestion is to return to your plastic surgeon and get his or her evaluation of the situation. Sometimes injections of a light steroid if secondary to scar build up may help. sometimes a small amount of filler products can solve the problem. the surgeon is the best one to say.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy

+1

The answer to your question is, yes sometimes. Most surgeons will try massage or retaping early on but, your window is closing.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Nasal Bone Exercises Following Cosmetic Rhinoplasty

+1

Leomar, with regard to the nasal bone positioning after rhinoplasty, the answer is - yes - you can change this within 6-8 weeks of the surgery. These are called nasal exercises and should be recommended and guided by your rhinoplasty surgeon. That being said, I have attached a link below to give you an idea of what we discuss with our rhinoplasty patients here in San Diego. Hope this helps. Happy healing.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

+1

If the bones were not broken, then osteotomies can be performed to adress this issue. However, you may want to wait since the swelling you have from surgery may be distorting how thing appear now.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon