Would You Recommend Bonding or Veneer for Small Chip or Imperfection?

While I know that veneers are generally superior to their composite/bonding counterpart, would it be better to in fact use bonding to fix very minor chips or imperfections instead of veneers, in order to minimize loss of enamel during the veneer procedure.

Veneers/Bonding for small imperfections?

+1

NEITHER. Small imperfections can be smoothed down or built up with small amounts of composite filling.

London Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers vs. Bonding for Minor Chip or Imperfections?

+1

I would always listen to what the patient wants first. If they do not like the color of their teeth or the shape or their smile, maybe than I would suggest veneers. If they have only a chip to deal with or minor problems that bonding can take care of, I would suggest try the bonding first and see what they think, Also if the bonding does not hold or it chips then it might suggest their bite is off and I would correct this before veneer placement or doing bonding again. Venners, unless they are non prep, require reduction of tooth enamel and once this is done there is no going back.  So start with the bonding and go from there! 

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and Bonding

+1

Teeth bonding is done with a composite resin that can restore both aesthetics and function to your smile. Placed on both the front and back of teeth, the composite resin used in teeth bonding provides a strong, long-lasting, and seamless appearance to smiles impacted by decay or marred by cosmetic imperfections such as:

• Chipped teeth
  • Misshapen teeth
  • Gapped teeth
  • Severe discoloration

The material used in teeth bonding is not as strong as other restorative options, and may discolor, chip, or break over time. For patients with more serious aesthetic and functional issues, options including porcelain veneers may be more suitable.

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Bondings are great for fixing small chips in teeth.

+1

If you're happy with the overall color, shape, and alignment of your teeth, then bonding is a great option to fix minor chips or imperfections of teeth.  That being said, it's a good idea to make sure the chipping is not due to a bite imbalance which could potentially cause chipping of the bonding or further chipping of your teeth.  A dentist knowledgeable in bite problems should be able to help.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Would You Recommend Bonding or Veneer for Small Chips or Imperfections?

+1

For small chips or imperfections you have two main choices.

If you like the shape, color and alignment of your teeth right now, then bonding can be a great way to rejuvenate them. Bonding can smooth the edges and repair the chips. I usually do these with some other cosmetic smoothing and recontouring of the neighboring teeth-your smile can look ten years younger.

If you don't like the look of your teeth now- they may be too clear or translucent, the shape could be off a bit, or maybe your teeth aren't exactly even, then porcelain veneers may be a better solution.

I would say the issue is less about "preserving enamel", than getting exactly the results you are envisioning. When you LOVE your smile, then whatever the journey it takes to get there is worth it.

Make sure to be clear about what you want. Make sure you look at what you are starting with carefully before you start. A great cosmetic dentist will help you see everything that affects your smile. They will help you refine your expectations, and the choice should become clear.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding Should Be First Choice for Minor Chips & Imperfections

+1

Bonding, in the hands of a well-trained, educated, and experienced "cosmetic" dentist should be unnoticeable for correcting a minor chip or imperfection. If the chip was caused by a problem with your occlusion (the way your upper and lower teeth meet and slide over eachother), that problem should be addressed, or the bonding &/or  porcelain veneer will also likely chip.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Composite bonding or veneers for minor chip

+1

In case of minor chipping of enamel or minor imperfections the composite bonding can provide you with good aesthetic results and save enamel for future veneer when the situation can be appropriate. I prefer the conservative approach when it concerns aesthetic treatment and the procedures that can`t be reversed. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist