Black Triangle Gap Between my Two Front Teeth

I am getting my braces off in three weeks, and for the most part I am very happy. One of the spaces that won't close will need a little bonding, but that's it.

My problem is the black triangle gap that is between my two front teeth. I know this is going to bother me, but my dentist says that if he puts some bonding there to cover it, I might have problems later on because I won't be able to clean that spot properly.

How much of a worry should this be, if I want to bond it anyway? My cleaning habits are very good - I floss at least once a day and brush twice- but if I'll never be able to floss between my two front teeth, will the gums start to recede even more someday?

Also, If I will have problems flossing around the bonding, will a water pic do the job just as well?

Space between teeth

+3

Just because they bond the teeth to close the space doesn't mean that they are bonded together...you will still be able to floss normally.

Sometimes we do bond a wire on the inside of the teeth to hold a space closed...if they do that then you can easily thread a  piece of floss under the wire.

Saint Louis Orthodontist

How toclose space between upper front teeth.

+3

Using composite bonding to close the space you describe is probably the most conservative approach. If done properly, flossing should not be a problem. Over time, such a composite may discolor a bit. If so it can be easily, and non-invasively, replaced. Or at that point you might decide to have veneers for a more lasting "fix". In any event find a good cosmetic dentist and explore these options.

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Move the Black Triangle out of site!

+3

Welcome to one of the most perplexing problems facing dentists.  Usually the black triangle between the upper front teeth is due to either recession of the gum in that area or extra wide front teeth.  If the front teeth are extra wide, then the orthodontist should be able to shave them down and close the gap to reduce or eliminate the black triangle.  Very commonly, the two teeth next to the front teeth can be smaller than normal which creates a problem matching with the lower teeth.  They can be built up by your friendly cosmetic dentist.  The worst case senerio is having many smaller upper teeth so that it is difficult to close all the gaps by straight orthodontics which may necessitate adding veneers to a number of front teeth.  If gum recession in the area is a problem, these suggestions can help to reduce any black triangles.  Good luck.

Denver Orthodontist

BLACK spaces and front teeth

+2

There could be an easier fix to your problem. Ask your orthodontist if he/she can do INTERDENTAL REDUCTION to your front 2 teeth.  This involves a small amount of tooth reduction, followed by space closure and making the black triangle smaller.If its possible, in my opinion, its a much the best alternative!

San Diego Orthodontist

Gap in teeth, closing space with braces

+2

Good question....I would say the majority of the time the orthodontist should be able to do some interproximal reduction in between the teeth to be able to close the gap.  This should work assuming not a tremendous amount of bone loss/gingival loss in the area.  I would go that route first!

Gainesville Orthodontist

Black triangle fix

+2

You didn't mention if the black triangle was always there, or if it appeared during the orthodontic process.  If it happened during ortho, there is a test your dentist can do to determine if the gums may fill back in on their own. If your measurement falls within those parameters, I will usually advise my patient to wait for a few months to see if the gums rebound on their own.  If not, I would usually opt for very conservative porcelain veneers to close the gap-they are much more predictable in closing black triangles than bonding and there should be no problem cleaning or flossing around them.

Chicago Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding should not be a challenge to clean.

+2

If done well, flossing should not be too much of a challenge. The bonding should be contoured in such a way that cleaning is not an issue, and hey shouldn't be attached to the adjacent teeth.

Veneering with porcelain veneers would be more predictable, but you would need to decide if the triangle is big enough to warrant such efforts.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

You need to balance the options between the esthetics of the black triangle or additional treatment.

+2

The black triangle is always a cosmetic challenge. Porvelain veneers can correct the issue. You will be able to floss between the teeth after the veneers as they are separate restorations. When done well they are imperceivable to the eye and compatible with the gum tissue.

As an alternative you may want to speak to a periodontist about a gum graft in that area. You will need to balance the priorities in your mind as to how significant the black triangle is esthetically versus the solutions to improve upon it.

Long Island City Cosmetic Dentist