Can I get a bonding again on my tooth, after my front tooth broke? (Photo)

I I got my front tooth broken and it took a little of my other tooth next to it which I got bonding years ago. Yesterday out of nowhere that part came out leaving a hole on my front tooth. I just made an appointment to the dentist but I want to be prepare financially and mentally because I'm very afraid of needless and hate anesthesia . What do I need to get bonding or a crown ? My tooth doesn't hurt yet . would like to know what will be good for me since I don't like needles or anesthesia.

#Bonding or #crown

+1
Based on the size of your breakage, I would definitely recommend placing a crown your broken tooth and a veneer on your other incisor.  I know that this seems like a lot, but here is why I would recommend this.

Bonding is considered temporary on front teeth and is likely to break again in the future.  Whether it is 3 months from now or 3 years from now, the next time it breaks, it is likely to break off even more of your tooth with it.  This means that the next time it breaks, you may be left with a tooth so short that it has to be extracted.  This means that you would need an implant or bridge to replace that tooth.  I would not take this chance because your tooth is right in the front.  You do not want to pinch pennies when it comes to your 2 front teeth.  Having one of these two teeth broken or missing a few years from now can severely age you and affect your personal life  Two veneers might cost you about $2500 total, but should last you the next 20 to 30 years of your life.  You will probably spend more than that on cloths in the next two years.  I hope this helps.  Follow me if you have more questions about this.
Sarah Thompson, DMD

Saint Louis Cosmetic Dentist

Can I get a bonding again on my tooth, after my front tooth broke?

+1
Either another direct composite bonding or porcelain crown would solve your problem.  There appears to be compromised tooth structure remaining and some decay, and this would mean than any bonding would probably not last a long time.  A porcelain crown restoration would give you the most protection and greatest longevity.  Obviously, there is a cost difference between the two options but in the long run replacing the bonding repeatedly would cost you much more in the long run, especially since you will ultimately end up needing a crown anyone some day.  I would recommend a crown restoration, and preferably an all-ceramic crown (with no underlying metal) like Emax above the traditional porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

A picture can only say so much, but here's what I see...

+1
From your second photo, I can see obvious signs of decay, which is a possible reason for why the original filling came off. Depending on what your dentist sees in your mouth and your xrays, the extent of the decay, and how much of your tooth remains, your dentist may be able to give you a new filling or suggest that you get a crown restoration. Please do not wait until your tooth hurts! Good luck!

Stephanie Yeung, DDS
Santa Monica Cosmetic Dentist