Bonding Vs. Lumineers After Braces

My braces are coming off soon. I have a peg lateral incisor, which doesn't look too bad. Since my braces pushed all my teeth "tightly" together, will i be able to have bonding or a lumineer put in?

Finishing Your Smile After Braces

+2

Congratulations-It looks like you are almost done with your braces!  Finishing an orthodontic case can involve bonding or veneering if the orthodontist has planned for it.

I have found that once braces are off and if all spaces are closed down that you should wait to see how things settle.  You can always do bonding but the braces should have corrected everything but space and if you have no space left then you should look great!

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Peg lateral veneer

+2

I would ask your orthodontist - is it possible to leave some space for the peg lateral to have the 'normal' size after the braces come off.  That way, the veneer or bonding would fill in this space - and the peg would become a normal size tooth. 

As your picture shows, you currently do not have space for a Lumineer or bonding.  Once again, I would ask your orthodontist this question as a starting point.   

Greg Lutke, DDS
Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Peg laterals and braces

+2

I'm a little concerned about the lack of space, but I think you could have either one. I would try bonding first to see if you like the result. Keep in mind that if you don't think it looks bad, you could always opt to do nothing, at least for now.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Treating a Peg Lateral after Braces

+2

Ideally the orthodontist should leave the appropriate amount of space to restore your undersized tooth with either a Porcelain Veneer or Bonding. If insufficient space remains, the tooth can still be restored but may be slightly narrow relative to the other teeth.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Spaces For Peg Lateral

+1

I would have your orthodontist leave small spaces around your latera incisors so that you can have bonding or veneers when your treatment is completed.  This will allow your cosmetic dentist to give you the correct size laterals.  Good luck.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Peg laterals are always a challenge

+1

Sometimes one lateral is smaller than another, so spaces around the smaller tooth should NOT be closed.  This will allow the restorative dentist to make the smaller tooth the same size as the non-peg lateral.

This requires strong communication between the restorative dentist and the orthodontist, as many orthodontists simply try to close spaces.  Once treatment is complete, wearing a retainer for a short time to allow teeth to "settle" is a good idea, and then bonding or a lumineer/porcelain veneer can be placed.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding or Veneering Teeth

+1

You seem to be on the right track.  Teeth look nice due to proportions of the teeth to each other.  If your lateral teeth are too small and your orthodontist has closed the spaces, then the esthetic result can be compromised.

It might be prudent to have a good cosmetic dentist look at your teeth before the braces are removed and have him coordinate the proper amount of space to be left for bonding or veneering the tooth.  The lateral incisors are really good teeth to bond from a longevity perspective as there is very little biting done on this tooth.

Hope this helps!

Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Cosmetic Bonding or Veneers after Braces

+1

In order to achieve optimal aesthetics, you would ideally have a little space in front of and behind the peg lateral for the cosmetic bonding or the porcelain veneer to create a more proportional smile.  Do you have a peg lateral on both sides?  If so, closing the spaces with braces may give you a symmetrical smile and you may not need to do anything else other than whitening your teeth to improve your appearance.  Your cosmetic dentist can tell you how much space is needed to create the ideal proportions for your smile and communicate with your orthodontist to coordinate treatment.  A Lumineer in this case would make the peg lateral appear bulky, long and skinny if no spaces are created prior to getting your braces removed. 

Lorin F. Berland, DDS
Dallas Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding vs Veneers for orthodontic spaces.

+1

It's critical that the Cosmetic Dentist do a final evaluation before the Orthodontist removes the braces to be sure the tooth is in the best position. Dental Bonding is usually a more ideal and conservative approach for this situation. Due to the younger age of most of these type of patients, dental bonding allows the dentist to go back and add to the bonding as the shape of the gums change over time without having to start all over.

Ted Murray, DDS
Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Restorations peg tooth after braces

+1

If you're looking for a permanent solution your best option would be a porcelain veneer, Bonding discolors overtime and would need to be changed.

Lawrence Gilbert, DDS
Woodbury Cosmetic Dentist