Is It Possible to Have Bonding on Front Tooth Without Roughening It with Drilling Machine?

I fell down when I was a kid. Due to this, my front tooth broke and became half. my dentist suggested me to have bonding or a crown. I prefer bonding since I don't want my tooth to be reduce; however, they told me that to roughen the surface, they will need to use the drilling machine and then a chemical. I am afraid of the drilling machine and I dont want my tooth to be reduced by it. Is bonding possible without drilling or I mean roughening?

Composite bonding of the anterior tooth

+2

Composite bonding is a higly successful esthetic precedure that requires preparation of the enamel. When the surface for bonding is adequately wide, the quality of bonding will be much better and the restoration will be able to resists the chewing forces, especially in the anterior teeth. Minor bonding surfaces usually can be performed withour additional roughening of the enamel or drilling. If the surface of the broken tooth is exceeding 1/5 of the tooth usually slight roughening of enamel will increase the success of bonding restoration. Minor roughening can be done absolutely painlessly without intervention with anesthesia, so the discomfort during this procedure should not concern you.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Possible to bond teeth without mechanically roughening them

+2

It's certainly possible to bond teeth without mechanically roughening them, but the results may not be as strong, look as good or be as long lasting. The amount of reduction needed for bonding is probably less than for a crown, maybe a lot less. Keep in mind that bonding isn't as long lasting as a crown, and if the bonding breaks it could take more tooth with it, so a crown could be the best value for your money long term.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

A rough surface works best.

+2

The rough surface creates more surface area for bonding.  This gives a stronger bond of the filling material to the tooth.  By roughening in a specific way it is possible to create a restoration that blends esthetically into the tooth.  We can design restorations are so life-like that it is difficult to distinguish them from the tooth itself.  So, for esthetics it is much better.

If the tooth is already broken, a small amount of roughening won't change what is left of the tooth.  You might think that the roughening process will create a small stump of a tooth, but in reality it is such a small amount of tooth structure that is removed, it is just microns from the surface and not even the whole surface of the tooth.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Bonding

+1

Generally speaking, bonding is very conservative.  Without seeing the tooth, it is hard to speculate.  However, placing a small bevel on the enamel is usually all that is needed as far as tooth preparation.  Sometimes there is already enough of a break that air abrasion can be used.  If possible, I prefer not to bond the entire tooth but to skillfully blend the shades and color of the bonding to match the remaining tooth.  Also, if the bevel is minimal usually no anesthesia is necessary.

Bonding can look beautiful when skillfully done.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

+1

In order for the bonding technique to be successful, the tooth surface has to be clean and free of any potential contaminants.  Once the tooth is clean, a mild acid is applied to the surface that will have bonding apllied so that the material will adhere.

Dentists will often use a drill to be certain that the surface is clean, but there is no need to drill away any tooth structure.  The goal of bonding is to be as conservative as possible, and to leave as much of the existing tooth structure in tact as possible.

Hope this was helpful

Dr Champagne

Freehold Cosmetic Dentist

Laws of physics usually requires roughening enamel

+1

The strength of the material keeping the composite stuck to the tooth is limited, and both mechanical stresses and chemical strength needs to be considered.  The vast majority of the solutions require roughening the tooth surface to gain enough strength so the composite will stay put.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding without "roughening"

+1

Sometimes patients ask dentists to do things or not do things which have a negative impact on the outcome of the procedure. There are a couple of good reasons for roughening or beveling the tooth. One reason is there is a stronger bond when you spread the bonded surface over more area and the area has been lightly prepped. Another good reason is the dentist can make interface between the tooth and the bonding material disappear so it looks like a natural tooth....... not a filling on a tooth. In the end it depends on how the patient wants the final restoration to look and if the dentist is willing to compromise his or her artistic results.

Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Best enamel bonds

+1

The research has shown that the best bonds to enamel are when the enamel is slightly roughened (prepped) versus enamel that is not roughened (unprepped).  Your dentist suggested that technique so that the situation for the best enamel bond can be created.  Also, this will help to blend the material so that there is no visible distinction between the tooth and the bonded composite material.  The minimal amount of roughened enamel will help in the long term.  Also, roughening the enamel should not be painful, but you will sense some vibration.  

Dubuque Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding fillings with or without roughening the surface.

+1

Bonding can be done without roughening the tooth surface but it will likely reduce the bonding strength of the filling to the tooth.  There are times when a handpiece (drill) , a laser or air abrasion are required to alter the shape of the tooth in order to increase the strength of the bonded filling.  The success of such fillings increases when there are no sharp edges or the bonding is done to freshly cut dentin.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding without reducing the tooth

+1

Actually, there is recent data to support bonding with no preparation.  Corky Wilhite, one of the premier dental educators on this particular area of study shared with me that 60 second etch of UNPREPPED enamel provides equivalent bond strength to prepped enamel.  Now, technically, the etch is removing some microscopic tooth structure, but we're talking very microscopic, that is you'd have to use a microscope to see what it had taken away.  So it's a good bit less reduction than prepping the tooth.  

That said, sometimes we will prep the tooth to allow for an interface between tooth and resin that is more natural looking.  If there is a hard line between the two materials, it will be visible and will never look like a real tooth.  We would create a bevel so that there is a gradual transition from resin to natural tooth structure.  This is purely for esthetics, not for strength.  

Personally, I like to use a sandblaster to clean the tooth and then etch it.  Again, this removes a microscopic amount of tooth structure, but I think it's well worth it to ensure that the surface I'm bonding to is free of contamination so it will last.  Hope this helps - best of luck!

JW

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist