Bonding After Teeth Shift?

My problem (the reason why I needed braces) is that my teeth were spaced out (with obvious gaps) Now my teeth are straight, but a retainer is such a pain and I worry I might lose it and my teeth will shift back.. Can I technically have my teeth shift back (to its original gappiness) and then get them bonded for a hassle-free result? Or is it more complicated than that?

Teeth shift back when stop wearing a retainer

+3

It's not uncommon for the teeth to shift back when someone stops wearing a retainer, and what you suggest probably will work. Bonding will discolor and wear out over time though, so it could get expensive to redo over and over. You have already done the hard part and had braces, so I'd suggest talking to your orthodontist about options for fixed retainers. You're much better off long term keeping your straight teeth than having bonding.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding to close a space can work, BUT

+2

Your thought makes sense in that at present you would probably have to wear a retainer forever. The problem with just bonding closed a space between your front teeth is that it makes both teeth wider and this may not be good cosmetically.  In our office in a case like yours we normally do not retract teeth to close spaces as this is not predictably stable. Instead we evaluate how we can improve tooth proportion to enhance your smile and then we use Invisalign to redistribute the space and then bond these spaces (usually only a few) closed or use veneers to close them.  This gives a great AND stable result.

A. Vandiveer Strait, DDS
Wilton Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding to close gaps

+2

Yes, what you are proposing is possible and has been done. Should you not wear your retainer for 4 -6 months and allow the teeth to move to a stable position, they could then be bonded with composite resin. Depending on the proportions, the teeth might look large and the composite could chip and stain over time. Good luck.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Shifting teeth and bonding or veneers

+1

The real question is why your teeth are shifting? TMJ issues, tongue thrust? airway problems?  sleep apnea? This tells me that your bite or something is not stable.  Before making any decisions seek several consultations with qualified dentists.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

You can also have a fixed retainer

+1

There is usually more than one option for dental treatments.  It sounds like you are wearing removable retainers.  Did you know that you can also have fixed bonded retainers.  They take a bit more effort to keep clean, but you don't have to think about putting them in at night, and you don't have to worry about losing them.  This can be a very good option for a lot of people.

Bonding is another good option for straightening teeth, closing gaps etc.  The one thing that you should know about dental bonding is that it doesn't last forever.  Depending on your age, your diet, your habits (do you grind or clench your teeth?) and many factors you will probably have to replace or repair some or all of your restorations during your lifetime.

You have to weigh the pros and cons of various options and do what will work best for you.  Speak with your dentist and learn all the pros and cons so that you can make an informed decision.

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Movement of the teeth after the orthodontic treatment

+1

If you do not wear retainer after your orthodontic treatment, you are in a high risk for movemet of the teeth and ending up with some missalignments. I want to warn you  that it's hard to predict where your teeth will end up shifting, maybe to the previos spaces but maybe not. If you are experiencing such a difficulty with your retainer, and about to give it up, obtain consultation with a restorative specialist (prosthodontist) to discuss all the possible scenarios. Good luck!

Zina Kaleinikova, DDS, MS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Closing spaces with veneers works well

+1

It is common that people dislike wearing retainers, and without them the teeth likely WILL get gaps again.  Perhaps not as bad as originally, so the solution might be simple.  Many smile makeovers with porcelain veneers are done specifically to close spaces, but careful planning is needed to be sure the results do not look out of proportion.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

There Are Many Types of Retainers

+1

Once your orthodontic treatment has been completed you need to wear retainers.  There are 2 kind of retainers, fixed,  where they are glued in your mouth and removable.

There are 2 types of removable retainers; the traditional one that covers the roof of your mouth and a see through 'Invisaglin' type.

If one retainer doesn't work, try another.  Congratulations on completing orthodontic treatment.  It is the treatment of choice when you have spaces.

Bonding is fine but braces are better-If your teeth shift, you can revisit the orthodontist and your dentist to discuss your needs!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Mind the gap...

+1

What you are explaining is what many people end up doing. They are tired of wearing the retainer and as a result, their teeth shift. Spaces can be filled with composite fillings or with porcelain veneers to close up gaps.

Randall LaFrom, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist