Bolus Technique for Radiesse?

I just wanted to know some doctors' thoughts about using bolus technique for Radiesse.

Don't show your hand

+2

Am,

Radiesse injected as a bolus is primarily reserved for hand rejuvenation. This an off FDA label use, but can be effective for plumping the hands and making them appear more youthful. The material doesn't spread as well in the face and if bolused may cause lumpiness, which is unacceptable if it is visible.

Deeper injections of larger amounts may be preferable

+2

The FDA indication for Radiesse is for the nasolabial lines, which run from the nose to the mouth. There are not many different injection methods for that area, and I do not think that anyone would use a bolus technique because the injections are not deep. Radiesse is used off-label for cheek augmentation and to replace lost volume to fill out the face. In the cheeks I believe that a deeper injection is better, resulting in less swelling and minimal bruising. I do use a bolus technique here, injecting larger amounts and gently massaging. The threading technique works but it leads to significant bruising and swelling that can take 1-2 weeks to completely resolve. Depending on your particular needs, your doctor will determine with you what injection technique is best.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

I recommend 2-3 sessions of smaller amounts of radiesse rather than one big injection amount

+1

By bolus technique for radiesse I assume you mean you are putting in a lot at one time. I don't recommend that as radiesse causes swelling and may cause some temporary distortion. It usually settles down after 2-3 days. I usually inject smaller amounts of radiesse in 2 or 3 sessions about 4-7 days apart.

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon