Is a tummy tuck my only option? I've had a pooch since my 1st born and I'd like to know if anything else will flatten it (Photo)

I'm a 40 year old mom of an 8 year old and a 13 month old both via c-section. I'm 5'9, 177 pounds and currently working on losing 10 pounds or more and exercise regularly. I have had a pooch since my 1st born and would like to know if there is anything besides a tt that will make it flatter. I don't care if it's super tight and not interested in wearing a bikini again. I just don't want to look pregnant and want to look good in my clothes. Thanks :-)

To tuck or not too tuck

+1
You have a pretty classic abdomen for somebody who has rectus diastases.  The only way to flatten your abdomen is to bring your rectus muscles back together at the midline.  No diet or exercise can do this.  You do not have a lot of extra fat and skin So you may be able to get away with a mini tummy tuck with a full rectus plication

Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Best result for your tummy

+1
Hi Mommy 0613

From your height and weight, you are slightly overweight, so your aim to lose a bit of weight is a sound starting point. However, looking at your photos, I doubt that weight loss alone will get you an abdomen that you are happy with. 

There are lots of smaller procedures and gadgets on the market that might help your abdominal shape by removing the fat that is over your abdominal muscles.

However, only an abdominoplasty (full tummy tuck) will tighten those muscles back to where they were before you had children. A well performed tummy tuck will also remove some of the fat overlying those muscles.

The remaining work will be through diet and exercise to lose the fat that is on the inside of your abdomen (visceral fat). 

Good luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck my only option? I've had a pooch since my 1st born and I'd like to know if anything else will flatten it.

+1
There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty. Each of these can be performed with or without liposuction and with or without abdominal muscle repair. They produce different degrees of improvement.

No matter which procedure that you decide to undergo, it is advisable that you should wait until you are finished having children.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and
ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).
You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck my only option? I've had a pooch since my 1st born and I'd like to know if anything else will flatten it

+1
Thank you for your question and photos! I hope that these answers help! Tummy tuck is an excellent method for shaping the belly and create a flatter and sculpted abdomen after the procedure. Looking at your photos, I do believe that you would be an excellent candidate for this procedure in order to remove the excess skin/soft tissue of your lower abdomen and contour the areas of your belly. It appears that you have some loose skin, which nothing short of surgical excision, will rid. Tightening of your abdominal wall as well as liposuction/contouring of your hips - all of these via a full tummy tuck would afford you the best result.

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you. Once you are ready for the procedure, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck with abdominal wall tightening along with some liposuction to the hips/flanks for additional contouring. You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in abdominal contouring procedures to go over options and to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

+1
Based on your photos you would benefit from a full tummy tuck. This can be done via an incision below your C-section scar (not much longer) and a small incision through the belly button. Your whole rectus muscle needs to be plicated or tightened. A mini tummy tuck just tightens the muscle from the belly button down only, which will result in an upper abdominal bulge later. Since your umbilicus is high, it can be "floated" down, this way you will avoid a small vertical scar in the lower abdominal skin. I combine this procedure with VASER liposculpting to reshape your hips, waist and provide an athletic abdomen. See a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in advanced body sculpting techniques. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck options

+1
When skin has been stretched from pregnancy, nonsurgical options are usually not going to accomplish much. Since you already have a scar from C-sections, some version of a tummy tuck is likely to be your best choice and the scar could be at the same location. With your umbi rather high, a full tummy tuck might not work but a mini with a float would be worth looking in to.

Richard Baxter, MD

TT

+1
Thank you for the photos though obviously a full examination is needed to see what would give you the best result.  A full discussion of your options could then entertained.  A full tummy tuck may be the best answer or possibly a repair of a diastasis using your c-section scar

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck my only option?

+1
You will definitely get the most improvement with a Tummy Tuck. However if there is significant fat in the abdominal wall (it takes an exam to know) then liposuction may give you enough change for now until you are ready to commit to the TT.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Pooch correction

+1
it does appear that you have some separation and weakening of the rectus muscles on your abdomen. That will not come together with exercise. It has to be repaired with surgery and that is a common component of a tummy tuck. Sit ups and muscle strengthening will not help to reposition the muscles into their proper location I am afraid.

Julio Garcia, MD

Floating Abdominoplasty

+1
Although a physical examination is needed, you seem to be a really good candidate for a floating abdominoplasty. Your umbilicus is high, you do not have lot of excess skin and you have a significant weakness of your abdominal wall. A floating abdominoplasty has a very low scar, is able to plicate and tighten your abdominal wall musculature all the way up, and does not leave a scar around the belly button. Hope this helps.

Sepehr Egrari, MD