Is ArteFill safe to use for under eye hollows?

Is ArteFill safe to use for under eye hollows? I know Juvederm and Restylane are usually used but they are not permanent and I'm looking for a permanent solution.

Artefill is best for most facial areas except the eyes

+1

I have used Artefil/Artesense for a long period of time and when it is used properly with good technique and placement in to the proper tissue level; it is very successful. Lips, cheeks, nasolabial folds, between the eyebrows etc, it is very well tolerated and forms good tissue contours. The lower eyelids are very thin skinned and there are 'veins' which lead behind the eyeball; such that the material is best used elsewhere. Fillers such as Juvederm are very successful in the eyelid area and are now 'produced' to last quite a long time; so there is really no need to consider Artefil in that area. In every case, experienced persons need to be injecting the material to get the best and safest results

Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Artefill for the under-eye hollows? Yes...but with great caution

+1

I've used Artefill for the under-eye hollows and tear troughs on quite a few patients with good success. BUT...this is a tricky area and has to be done correctly and in the right amount. I always start with a temporary filler like Juvederm first, both to get an exact idea of the volume required and to let the patient try it on, so to speak.

There are some tricks to using Artefill in this area and it should never be injected too superficially (which seems to be the most common problem I see with patients who've had injections around the eyes by less familiar practitioners).

--DCP

Pearson Facial Plastic Surgery®

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Using Artefill under the eyes

+1

Artefill is a good long term filler and for safety reasons should be used mainly for nasolabial folds. If you had a problem in the tear trough area with artefill (e.g. looked lumpy), you would have a hard time reducing or removing it. Still with juvederm or restylane under the eyes.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill should not be used under the eyes!

+1

Artefill is permanent and an error in placement at the area of the tear trough will be permanent too. Using a dermal filler for the tear troughs is an advanced procedure and should only be done by a physician with extensive experience in my opinion.  Juvederm or Restylane can be used safely under the eye but again the key is the person injecting the product.

Jason K. Rivers, MD
Vancouver Dermatologic Surgeon

No Artefill Around The Eyes!!

+1

Although I use Artefill and am truly impressed with its results, it is FDA approved, and I only use it for melolabial folds and some lower perioral rhytids (wrinkles). It should never be used in lips or delicate soft tissue because its overall process is to stimulate dermal fibrosis and this effect is only optimal in deep wrinkles (rhytids)

Stick to the hyaluronics around the eyes.

Steven Swengel MD & Associates

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill use under eyes

+1

Artefill is FDA approved to treat nasolabial folds (the folds that run from the sides of the nose to the sides of the lips).  Using Artefill under the eyes would be considered an off-label use.  Although some physicians may use fillers for off-label uses, I would not recommend using Artefill under the eyes, as it is difficult for the thin skin there to hide any irregularities.  I would recommend staying with the use of Juvederm, Restylane, or Belotero (all hyaluronic acid products).  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon