Is a Bodylift Best or a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm 21 yrs old, 180lb at present. I was obese as a child, 264 lbs, and have lost the weight and kept it off for 5 years now. In terms of getting the best long term results for a sleeker and tighter body shape, would it be best to have a bodylift with lipo to thighs, back and flanks (see pictures) or a tummytuck with lipo to thighs, back and flanks? I plan on maintaining 154 lbs comfortably with lifestyle changes before doing surgery and have reached this weight before. Thank you in advance! :)

Getting rid of love handles. / Eliminando la grasa de la cintura

+3

You will look fabulous once your love handles are removed.  The pictures you took, coupled with the weight you lost, shows the procedures you need.  Doing just a tummy-tuck and  liposuction of your back and sides will not remove excess tissue that is there.  Therefore I would recomend you have a beltectomy as well. This will lift up the butt and outer thighs and remove your love handles for a great sleek look.  Good luck with your surgery.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD FACS

Usted puede lucir fabulosa despues de eliminar la grasa de la cintura. Las fotos que usted tomo, mas el peso que usted ha perdido ensenan el procedimiento indicado.
Solamente atraves del tummy tuck combinado com liposuccion de la espalda y cintura no se le puede remover el exceso de tejido acumulado en estas areas. Por esta razon, le recomiendo un levantamiento de la parte inferior de la espalda/gluetos (beltectomy). Este procedimiento le va levantar los gluteos y la parte externa de los muslos y remover la grasa de la cintura para un aspecto mas elegante.

Suerte en su cirugia!

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Body Lift or Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Spat230,

Congratulations on your weight loss and success in keeping it off.  From your photos, it appears that you would do well with an extended abdominoplasty in combination with aggressive liposuction of  your back, flanks/love handles, and thighs.  However, the success of this combination of procedures depends on the quality of your skin and its ability to contract after liposuction.  In order to determine your skin quality, an examination is necessary and should be performed be a board certified plastic surgeon.  If your skin quality is less than optimal, then a body lift may be the better option for you.  Hope this helps and again, great job in losing the weight and keeping it off.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Losing Weight and Surgery

+2

Thank you for your question and pictures. Congratulations on your weight loss!

A good physical examination is in your best interest.  From the photos, it looks like an extended tummy tuck with liposuction would give you a nice result.

Patients who have lost a significant amount of weight may have skin elasticity issues so make sure you are visiting with a well experienced plastic surgeon who has experience working with patients who have lost significant weight.

Bodylift or Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

+2

Dear spat230,

Congratulations on your weight loss!

If you are planning to lose another 25 pounds, it would be best to wait until you have lost the additional weight to choose a treatment plan.

A full or extended tummy tuck with liposuction may be a good option for you. However, a body lift with liposuction may be an even better option, depending on how much sagging skin you have in the lower and lateral (side) regions of your trunk, hips, thighs, and buttocks.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Extended tummy tuck or body lift

+2

Thank you for your question and the pictures. Both procedures are on the table. What is missing here is direct examination to evaluate the skin laxity. This will determine which procedure gives you the best contour. Liposuction is usually included in both procedures. 

These two procedures are not interchangeable, but each has its own indications and both will give excellent result if applied to the right patient.

I would like to congratulate you on your effort to loose wight and wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Procedural Recommendations

+2

Thank you for your photos.   You will probably benefit from an extended tummy tuck with addition liposuction.  But a physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations.  In addition, you plan to lose an addition 20-30 lbs more.  I would wait until your weight loss has stabilized before opting for any body contouring procedures.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

+2

That's a very good question the best way to give you an accurate response is to exam you. You should go see a well-qualified surgeon to give his professional opinion. From the pictures you have posted a Tummy Tuck would give you great results with Liposuction of flanks and inner and outer thighs. Hope that helps.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck (sort of)

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss and keep it up!  You'll get the best results from any surgery if you can get your weight where you want it and keep it there.

As far as surgical recommendations, based on your pictures alone I'd recommend an extended version of a tummy tuck with some liposuction of the hips, lower flank, and potentially the outer thighs.  The subtleties of both it and a body lift are things that need to be worked out in person with your surgeon before deciding on a procedure.

Best of luck, and again, congratulations!

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Body Lift or Tummy Tuck with a little more weight to lose.

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss- and maintaining it for the past 5 years.  As you have an additional 26 pounds that you'd like to lose, it would be best to lose this weight prior to getting an opinion.  There is no doubt that a tummy tuck is in order.  With the amount of weight loss, though, most plastic surgeon would like to evaluate (in person), the integrity of the skin prior to suggesting liposuction versus skin excision.  If the skin still has a fair amount of elasticity, I would suggest liposuction.  If the skin did not maintain its elasticity or has a fair amount of stretch marks, then I would suggest body lift.  Good luck with the last 26 pounds! 

Eric A. Marchant, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck and liposuction would probably be best

+2
Hello, It appears that you are a candidate for either procedure, but a full/extended tummy tuck with liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, back, and hips and thighs would give you the best bang for the buck. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD