I Am Having Body Tuck Next Week, I Have a Holiday Booked 5 Wks Post Surgery - Will I Be Recovered and Can I Swim?

Swimming after body tuck

+3

I wouldn't recommend it because you will have several very large incisions with your type of surgery. Your incisions could get badly infected after swimming in still water. Normally swimming and dipping in any still water (ie., pool, jacuzzi, bath tub) is not recommended for at least 6 weeks after surgery. 

Body tuck - swimming?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Recovery After Body Lift

+1

I have my patients ambulating immediately after surgery.  However, immediately after surgery, you will be walking flexed at your waist (in the skier's position).  Each day, you will be gradually able to straighten.  It generally takes 5-10 days (on average 7 days) for my patients to walk straight.  I do instruct my patients to sleep in a recliner or sleep in their bed propped up with pillows to mimic a the recliner or lawnchair position.  By 10-14 days after surgery, you should be getting close to your baseline ( able to drive, walk straight etc).  Most patients are able to get back to a desk job in about 2-3 weeks.  However, no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks after your surgery.  You need to give time for all your incisions to heal.  During this 6 week period, most surgeons will recommend some form of compression garments to help minimize your postop swelling.  You should start seeing your final results starting week 4 after surgery.   Talk to your plastic surgeon to learn more about his/her specific postoperative care protocol.  But overall, I would not advise to go swimming just 5 weeks after your body lift surgery. Hope this helps.

Recovery after Body Lifting Surgery

+1

5 weeks recovery time is generally enough time for most activities (except swimming). You will not be able to go into any type of "still" water (pool, spa, lake, ocean, etc.) until all incision lines are 100% healed.  

Here are some general words of advice re: recovery after surgery.

You are about to undergo a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.