Procedures to Tighten Loose Skin from Massive Weight Loss?

I'm a male 23 years old. I was 300 lbs. and now I'm 185 lbs. The problem is I have excess skin just above the penis area and around my stomach. Is there any exercise I can do to get rid of it? I work out a lot. What procedures are available to get rid of this? It’s really upsetting me. Please can you help and tell me how I can tighten this area? Thank you!

Sit ups and lunges do not significantly tighten the skin after massive weight loss....

Dear Sir:

Congratulations on your massive weight loss.  You should be commended on significantly improving your health and improving your lifestyle. 

I have many patients such as you who have lost a significant amount of weight and developed excess skin and fat in the pubic region.  Typically, male patients after massive weight loss developed significant fat above the penis and lateral to the penis above the scrotum.  When I examined patients, the excess skin and fat in this area typically looks like the letter W. 

Due to your significant weight loss, this is a very typical area to exercise or workout.  Sit ups and lunges do not significantly tighten the skin.  It is not necessarily the lack of exercise or doing the wrong exercise, it is just the skin in the area has been stretched and is unable to contract.  Surgical procedures include an abodominoplasty or a body lift  if your hips and buttocks bother you.

During my body lifts, I make the incision in the pubic region in males, very low to remove this excess skin and fat.  If your abdomen and hips are not bothering you and it is just the pubic region then I do an isolated pubic reduction.  This is done by making a vertical incision just above the penis extending towards the top of the underwear line.  By doing this, an ellipse or football-shaped skin and fat excision is done.  In addition, if the excess skin and fat is significant extending down to the scrotal region, I make an incision in a shape of an upside-down Y so the incision goes on top of the penis and then down the side of the penis onto the scrotum.  Sensation is usually always left intact and erection and fertility usually are not postoperative problems.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS