Procedures to Tighten Loose Skin from Massive Weight Loss?

I'm a male 23 years old. I was 300 lbs. and now I'm 185 lbs. The problem is I have excess skin just above the penis area and around my stomach. Is there any exercise I can do to get rid of it? I work out a lot. What procedures are available to get rid of this? It’s really upsetting me. Please can you help and tell me how I can tighten this area? Thank you!

Sit ups and lunges do not significantly tighten the skin after massive weight loss....

+3

Dear Sir:

Congratulations on your massive weight loss.  You should be commended on significantly improving your health and improving your lifestyle. 

I have many patients such as you who have lost a significant amount of weight and developed excess skin and fat in the pubic region.  Typically, male patients after massive weight loss developed significant fat above the penis and lateral to the penis above the scrotum.  When I examined patients, the excess skin and fat in this area typically looks like the letter W. 

Due to your significant weight loss, this is a very typical area to exercise or workout.  Sit ups and lunges do not significantly tighten the skin.  It is not necessarily the lack of exercise or doing the wrong exercise, it is just the skin in the area has been stretched and is unable to contract.  Surgical procedures include an abodominoplasty or a body lift  if your hips and buttocks bother you.

During my body lifts, I make the incision in the pubic region in males, very low to remove this excess skin and fat.  If your abdomen and hips are not bothering you and it is just the pubic region then I do an isolated pubic reduction.  This is done by making a vertical incision just above the penis extending towards the top of the underwear line.  By doing this, an ellipse or football-shaped skin and fat excision is done.  In addition, if the excess skin and fat is significant extending down to the scrotal region, I make an incision in a shape of an upside-down Y so the incision goes on top of the penis and then down the side of the penis onto the scrotum.  Sensation is usually always left intact and erection and fertility usually are not postoperative problems.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Loose Skin after gastric bypass or massive weight loss

+2

Depending on the areas of excess or loss skin you have, you have several options.
1. Tummy tuck - would provide removal of the skin from the front part of your abdomen and improve the the suprapubic area

2. Lower body lift - would improve the area around your abdomen, lower back, and buttocks region.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

How to tighten skin after massive weight loss?

+1
Good job on the weight loss.  You have asked a question that we hear about all of the time.   If your skin has stretch marks, the only therapy to get rid of this skin is to cut it out.  The areas of concern that you refer to could be addressed by abdominoplasty.  The best advice is to go see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with massive weight loss patients.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Procedures falling massive weight loss

+1
Congratulations on loosing so much weight.  That is a tremendous accomplishment.  Unfortunately when you loose that much weight your skin never shrinks down.  The common areas include the belly, pubic region, buttock, medial thighs, arms, and chest.  All the exercise in the world will not get rid of the skin.  Even "non-invasive" procedures will not likely give you what you are looking for.  With the kind of weight you have lost it is likely you would benefit from a body lift (circumferential abdominoplasty).  If all the looseness is in the front then a traditional abdominoplasty will be enough.
Rodger Shortt, MD
Plastic Surgeon Oakville

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Procedures to tighten loose skin from massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. There are no exercises that will tighten the loose skin on the abodomen or mons pubis. However there are many surgical procedures that can address this issue such as tummy tuck or mons reduction surgery.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!

The best way to get the most precise advice as to the best surgery for your situation would be to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon for examination.  It sounds like you have excess skin around your abdominal area and so a tummy tuck or extended tummy tuck (tummy tuck and back lipectomy) may be a good option for you.

Visit with surgeons who have experience with weight loss patients and look at their results.

Best Wishes!

Body Lift or Abdominoplasty After Massive Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your impressive weight loss.  That takes discipline and determination.  The right operation for you should be individualized.  No amount of exercise will make the excess skin go away once your weight has been stable for 6 mos.  To get the most from your weight loss you will likely need some type of a tummy tuck that removes the apron of skin in the lower abdomen.  A surgeon experienced in plastic surgery after weight loss can help you evaluate the best options for yourself.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Congratulations on your weight loss, which is a tremendous achievement. Unfortunately,

+1

like many patients who come to see me after weight loss, there are still some things that need to be done.  Specifically, it addition to excess lower abdominal skin that is addressed by a traditional Abdominoplasty, many patients have excess tissue in the pubic area following massive weight loss.  For patients such as yourself, it is not enough to get rid of the excess abdominal skin, and thighten the abdominal muscles, we also have to "lift" the extra skin in the pubic area.  Fortunately, this can be accomplished at the time of the Abdominoplasty, and the excess skin in the area you mentioned can be smoothed out nicely...

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Excess Skin After Massive weight loss.

+1

Exercise will help you to maintain your current weight, or lose more weight, and will help to strengthen your core (abdominal and back) muscles which will tighten your waist and improve your posture.

Excess skin after massive weight loss will not shrink.  In fact, the skin has lost its elasticity and may stretch out somewhat even after removal of the excess skin as part of a body lift procedure.

The best way to treat the problem that you describe is with a body lift procedure.  

I individualize the procedure that I perform to the specific anatomy of that patient.  So I can't tell you exactly what I would suggest for you.  

However, your procedure will require the excision of the excess skin of the abdomen, and very likely the flanks and back which is a body lift.  Depending upon other findings additional procedures including liposuction and skin removal elsewhere may also be necessary.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Plastic Surgery for Excess Skin

+1

Sorry, there is no exercise program that will tighten profoundly loose skin. Congratulations on your weight loss, but the loose skin will need to be excised to give you the contour you desire.

Leo Keegan, MD