Does a Body Lift Mean You Will Be Trimming Excess Skin off my Body?

What kind of sensation should I expect during recovery? Are some areas for likely to feel numb or tingly compared to other areas?

What is a body lift?

+1

Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy.  This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation).  So a body lift will not treat the upper medial thighs or inner thighs.   Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

+1

Yes, a bodylift removes excess skin and fat from your body and lifts remaining skin and fat into a better position. You will have some areas of numbness after surgery that may or may not resolve with time.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Body Lifting And Postop Sensation?.

+1

Yes, body lifting (whether upper or lower)  refers to excision of excess skin and adipose tissue of the involved areas. For example, the lower body lifts involves excision of excess skin and adipose tissue of the abdomen,  thighs, flanks, back,  buttock and pubic areas.

After these procedures patients will have areas of numbness  that may last for years  or may even be permanent.

Body lifts definitely remove extra skin

+1

After massive weight loss, extra skin may gather in various places on your body- abdomen, waist, back, arms, thighs, buttocks, etc.  Each area can be treated with a procedure to remove this excess residual skin.  A body lift typically removes the the excess skin from the flanks, buttocks, back, and outer thighs.  The remaining skin is lifted and secured upward to correct the sagging.  I often use some of the excess back skin to augment the buttocks, which can look flat after a body lift.  Body lifts are often coupled with abdominoplasties, so most of the torso gets corrected in one combined procedure.

Often, there is numbness or other sensory changes in the operative areas that can take over a year to resolve, but sometimes the recovery is not 100%..

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Excess Skin is Removed With a Body Lift

+1

A body lift procedure removes skin (and the fat in the layer beneath it) when that skin has been stretched by extreme weight fluctuation or by pregnancy.  The area of skin removal on a lower body lift is in the lower abdomen circling arouund to your hips.  Work is done on the tissues beneath to restore them to their normal anatomic position and improve your overall  shape.  Each body lift is highly individualized to your specific body type and your goals. The tissues that are elevated in the procedure have numbness in the early weeks.  For most people this goes away as the swelling subsides and the sensory nerves recover.  

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Excess Skin and Body Lift

+1

A body lift removes excess fat and skin which often result from significant weight loss.  You will likely experience changes in sensation to the areas involved.  These are usuallly transient, but they may take a long time to return to normal.  In rare cases, the loss of sensation to these areas can be permanent.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

+1

When we gain weight rapidly (Obesity, Pregnancies) the skin is permanently stretched with extreme examples of excess skin being generated in large weight gain. As a result, as the weight is loss, the skin fails to shrink and the result is circumferential sagging - buttocks, thighs, Mons pubis. As a result, a body lift involves the removal of a wide belt of excess skin circumferentially around the trunk thereby repositioning the sagging areas.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Body lifting is removing skin

+1

A body lift after massive weight loss involves the removal of excess skin and the consequent nerve recovery which can include numbness, tingling, and veen hypersensitivity.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS