Body Lift - How Long Do Results Last?

How long does the "lift" from body lift surgery last? I am 35, and I want to get a body lift, but I may wait if the results won't last well into my 40s or 50s.

Body Lift Results

+2

The lift effect from body lift surgery, for the most part is permanent. The contouring achieved by removal of excess skin and fat is permanent. The undermining, advancement and tightening of the skin of the thighs and buttocks is also permanent. Naturally there will be some relaxation of the skin early after surgery and the skin and connective tissues will loosen and sag gradually as you continue to age. I would recommend that you go ahead with the surgery at 35. The improvements should last well into your 40’s and 50’s. If you wait until you are older, you may not be as good a surgical risk as you are now. 

Body lift quality

+2

A body lift result should last.  The skin is removed and the areas is tightened. Now, there are factors that will affect the longevity. The quality of the soft tissues, your ability to keep yoru weight fairly stable, etc..

Once skin is removed it's gone for good.

+2

The body lift involves removal of skin.  This skin won't come back so in this sense the results are permanent.  You may be thinking about sagging of the remaining skin.  As we age, skin will continue to get looser and sag.  Bu if you're having a Lower body lift, it's probably because you had a lot of weight loss which produced a large amount of sagging.  You shouldn't get that sort of problem again, unless you experience another massive weight loss.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Lasting results from a lower body lift

+2

The results from a lower body lift will last a lifetime. As long as you maintain your weight within 10-15 pounds of the weight you were at the time of surgery you should enjoy the results for the rest of your life. However, if you gain and lose a lot of weight your body can change and you may find yourself with more excess or loose skin. Most patients are able to maintain their weight adequately to keep the results of surgery.

You can follow the attached link to see some before and after results from lower body lifts.

I hope this info helps...

Adam Rubinstein, MD

A body lift, like a good face lift, should last decades

+2

A body lift procedure is a major surgical procedure with a lengthily recovery period. But nothing else out there can compare to the rejuvenation results of a body lift procedure for massive weight loss patients and patients with severe skin laxity.

Like a face lift, a body lift should last for several decades, assuming several technical aspects of the procedure are done properly by your surgeon.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a thorough evaluation.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Body Lift results can depend on your weight maintenance

+2

Removing the skin and fat that remains after massive weight loss with a body lift is permanent. That is why you should have surgery once you reach your ideal, stable weight. Should you continue to lose weight after surgery, you may develop some new laxity and require a "touch-up" procedure years later.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Your unique aging clock will continue to move

+2

Patients with a history of massive weight loss who choose to have a body lift have a long lasting improvement and would likely always be better than if they had not had the surgery. Obviously over time there is some relaxation of tissues.

A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in this area can help you sort it out. If after your consultation you find that you area good candidate, you may want to consider proceeding now and enjoying the results of your surgery and your new body shape and contour.

John E. Gross, MD

Can't stop aging, but improvement should be long lasting

+2

Hi there-

You will, of course, continue to age, but the results from a well-done body lift procedure should alway be with you. In other words, you should always look better than if you had not had the procedure done.

This does, of course, depend on your candidacy for the procedure. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience doing these procedures.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Body Lift Surgery

+1

The body lifting surgery will remove excess skin and those results will last (the skin won't come back) - BUT your body will change with age and so the results will change as your body changes.  The best thing to do is to keep your weight stable after surgery.

Best Wishes.

Body lift results longevity

+1

Great question with a lot of IMPLIED questions.

How long does the "lift" from body lift surgery last? - Since the operation is usually done in people who lost a great deal of weight and such people have "stretch marks" (=cracks in the skin) and generally POOR skin tone there will be some recurrent sagging over the years. This will be seen more in people with thin skin, those who are malnourished, who smoke or who spend time in the sun or tanning booths. The duration of the result will vary GREATLY from person to person.

Can I wait if the results won't last well into my 40s or 50s ?- You obviously ASSUME that your skin at age 35 will stay the same for the next 10 to 20 years. Unfortunately, that is NOT the case. Unlike Burgundy Red wines, people's skin does NOT improve with time - it usually thins and gets worse. The assumption that a Lower Body Lift result will have the same duration or better 20 years later is rather optimistic and usually false.

Why not enjoy your youth with a new, sexier figure than assuming you can have the same or better 20 years from now?