Body Jett or Laser Lipo, I'm Not Sure Which One to Choose. Is There Really a Big Difference?

i am 34 5'4 160 lbs i have one child she is 12 . i put almost all my fat around my middle even when i lost the waight i have lose skin and a pooch. i just dont know what would be better to do water assist lipo or the laser lipo. please help.....

Laser lipo and Body Jet are very different treatments

+1

I have both laser lipo, I use Smartlipo, and the Body Jet lipo.  I use them both of them a lot but they are very different treatments and have different strengths and weaknesses.  Smartlipo is better for treating the abdominal fat.  It is smoother and more precise and irregularities can ruin the appearance of the tummy. 

THe Body Jet machine is great for back rolls, hips, and areas that have been done before.  I use it a lot to harvest fat for transfer to other areas such as for natural breast augmentation and Brazilian Butt lift. 

While you can get good results using traditional liposuction, these new technologies have had a real impact on improving results and recovery when used in the right way and for the right candidates. These newer types of liposuction, including ultrasonic, usually the Vaser, and in high demand and used a lot.  Many liposuction surgeons have all of them and can pick and chose the right tool for the job.  My preference for the tummy is usually Smartlipo.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Neither Laser lipo nor Body Jet lipo nor Ultrasound lipo is used much anymore.

+1

These various types of liposuction are more gimmicky than practical and have side effects that can cause unwanted results such as burned skin, puckering and contour irregularities.  If the doc just does that 1 type and does a lot of it, he/she can still do a decent job but why take the risk!  Most docs don't do these types anymore and for good reason.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Body jet, laser lipo, etc..

+1

I think that if you want liposuction of your abdomen just about any machine can give you the results that you are looking for.  I always tell patients it is not the wand but the magicina waving the wand that creates all the magic.

Body jet and smartlipo

+1
I believe I was the first 1 to have Smartlipo In my state. We have had all of the generations of this laser. had the water device probably a little over 1 year. I no longer have it. I still use the laser on every case I do. be careful with that loose skin issue. even though there is some tightening efect with the laser don't confuse it with a "tummytuck"

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring options

+1

There are multiple body contouring options available 

1. liposuction (tumescent liposuction is the same) where fat is removed through a cannula
  2. ultrasound liposuction where ultrasound energy is used to break up the fat before it is removed by the cannula (VASER liposuction; USAL; etc)
  3. laser liposuction where light energy is used to break up the fat and stimulate the collagen in the skin before the fat is removed by a standard liposuction cannula (SmartLipo etc)
  4. hydroliposuction where a powerful stream of saline is used to help remove the fat  (Body Jet)
  5. power assisted liposuction where the cannula vibrates (or in some cases rotates) very rapidly in order to assist in faster fat removal through the liposuction cannula (PAL; tickle lipo)
  6. tummy tuck or abdominoplasty where skin is excised to help achieve a tighter and slimmer abdominal appearance.  The muscles are often sutured at the same time to help flatten the stomach contour even further. (Tummy tuck; mini tummy tuck, belt lift, body lift etc)

Each of these options has a different purpose and outcome.  In my Salt Lake City, UT plastic surgery practice I offer almost all of these different options because not every patient is the same and I try to individualize the treatment to each patient.

Try to find a physician that offers all or most of these options so that they can help you select the procedure that is going to give you the results that you expect.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Defining liposuction terminology

+1

A common misconception is that laser liposuction is a substitute for liposuction. It's not. Maybe these definitions will help:

• Liposuction: removal of fat using a vacuum attached to a cannula moved in a to and fro manner
  • Laser liposuction: doing the above described fat removal, but additionally putting laser energy into the fat at some point during the process. The suctioning cannula is put down and a different instrument is picked up and used. They are completely different pieces of equipment.
  • Water-assisted liposuction (Body-Jet): the same definition of liposuction, but during the suctioning, "water", actually the tumescent anesthesia fluid, is simultaneously delivered to the fat through the same cannula, thereby continuing to bathe the fat with anesthesia fluid while suctioning. 

In my practice I use the Body-Jet and love it because it's a gentle way of administering the tumescent local anesthesia solution, and it allows me to continue to bathe the fat with the solution to make the procedure comfortable and helps with separating the fat from the connective tissue to which it is attached. 

I also use a laser, the SlimLipo laser, with most, but not all of my liposuctions. The laser is never the only thing done without doing suctioning.

My best advice is to find an experienced surgeon. That is the most important decision, not water-assisted lipo or laser lipo.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon