How to Achieve Best Results from Body Jet Liposuction?

I'm seriously considering getting Body Jet lipo in the next few months but had a question. If part of the intent is to get a relatively high volume of fat out of the body, would it make sense to let myself go a bit (I'm considered normal weight now) prior to surgery, so the areas most affected are more plump and can be shaped better? Seems the doctor would be able to suck out more fat this way. I'm not talking a tremendous weight gain, mind you.

Don't gain weight prior to liposuction since it won't help the end results

Gaining weight prior to liposuctioning is not in your best interest. We remove as much fat as possible whether the fat cells are big or not. 

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I gain weight prior to having a Body Jet liposuction procedure?

Body Jet is truly a new liposuction technology developed in Germany and just introduced in the US last December. It is based upon using a high pressure spray of anesthetic solution to dislodge the fatty tissue and assist in liposuction. Water assisted liposuction is almost atraumatic has much less discomfort, swelling and bruising that you would see with traditional liposuction.

It is best done when you are close to your ideal weight. Definitely do not gain weight prior to having liposuction by Body Jet.

One major advantage of this technique is that the tumescent solution is delivered directly to the Liposuction site and provides excellent local anesthesia. Another advantage is that the solution is suctioned out simultaneously therefore the contours can be more easily appreciated. Immediately suctioning the tumescent solution decreases the possibility of lidocaine absorption as well.

If skin tightening is needed then Slim Lipo or Smart Lipo can be used during the same procedure/

Do not gain weight before or after liposuction

No. Do not gain weight before liposuction. Your surgeon's job will be easier if you do not gain weight. Also, some patients are prone to weight gain AFTER liposuction. If you are in "weight gain" mode before then you may continue after liposuction. If you are at an "ideal weight" then maintain and keep healthy for your procedure. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Keep your ideal weight when getting liposuction

No, do not purposefully put on weight prior to liposuction! If you are at your ideal weight, good for you. Liposuction works best on people like you who are at their ideal body weight, but have areas that are out of proportion with the rest. You will not be doing yourself or your surgeon a favor by putting on weight before liposuction.

Do not put on weight before liposuction.

Hi.

1) I understand your thinking, but here is the flaw : The number of fat cells in our body does not change. When you put on weight, the same number of fat cells just get bigger. So the same number of fat cells is removed with liposuction when you are thinner (they are just smaller) as when you are fatter.

2) This is also the reason that the results of liposuction are so long lasting. The removed fat cells do not grow back. You can gain weight, but the improvement in shape is permanent.

3) I don't think there is any science for Body Jet. Avoid procedures with trademarks or catchy names. Tumescent liposuction gives great results.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Best results from Body Jet Liposuction possible at ideal body weight

Simple answer to your question is NO!!! Better results at your ideal body weight. What made you think to gain weight? Photos could have helped us determine the potential possible results. 

Weight gain prior to liposuction

I am not aware of any plastic surgeon who would advise this approach. Occasionally some have recommended wieght gain prior to liposuction as a method to obtain more fat for injection elsewhere.

Weight gain before liposuctioning

It is best to be at the ideal body weight or as close as possible before most body contouring procedures. I would not be a good idea to bulk up prior to liposuctioning. It adds nothing to the procedure or the results. And it goes without saying that you should try not to bulk up after liposuctioning!

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Techniques for Liposuction and Ideal Weight

My advice would be to maintain a stable weight in advance of your surgery. Significant weight gain or loss after surgery can make your overall results less predictable.

Your doctor should not require you to be any heavier just to facilitate fat removal.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS