Body Hyperpigmentation on Dark Skin?

African American female with very severe hyperpigmentation on my back in the NJ/NY area. This is from acne. I have been using 2% hydroquine + alpha hydroxy lotion for years and it is just not strong enough. I have been researching more aggressive treatment such as chemical peels on the back and laser treatment. Some say options are available for dark skin some say it is harmful for dark skin. I have also heard the q switch laser may or may not be an option. Or should I just try 4%?

Hyperpigmentation Treatment

+1

Thank you for your question. Darker skin type is a challenge to treat. A combination of treatments will likely provide you with the best results including sunscreen SPF 30 with zinc oxide daily, sun avoidance, increasing the hydroquinone concentration, adding other skin lightening topical creams, and chemical peels.  For best and safest results, be sure to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon who has expertise in hyperpigmentation and skin of color.   I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist