Will the Body Heal with Silicone Leakage?

Will my body heal with the silicone leakage inside or does it have to come out by cutting it out or is there another procedure that can be done to save the breast?

Gel Implant Rupture

+1

I am sorry about your accident but am a little unclear about your current situation. Were both implants removed? Were they both ruptured. Older gel implants contain a more liquid gel. The body forms a natural capsule around breast implants which in many cases contains the gel even if the implant shell is broken. I would recommend an MRI to assess whether there is any amount of significant retained gel. Additionally a good exam is required to palpate for any silicone nodules. These might require removal although I would emphasize that there have been scientific studies that indicate that these may cause any disease.

Silicone Breast implant failure after Motor vehicle accident

+1

Sorry to hear of your predicament. Given the fact that your silicone implants are 35 years old, you've had a very good "run" with them. After your Motor vehicle accident, did you have a MRI to detect the leakage? Alternatively, if you haven't had any special X-rays and are responding to the redness along the breast, you should have a MRI, at a minimum. The good news is that when a silicone gel breast implant fails, the silicone gel is usually contained within the scar capsule, which forms around all implants.

Once an implant has failed, it should be removed, along with the free floating gel. Normally, this is done in conjunction with replacing the silicone gel implant. It is an operation which should be scheduled, as soon as it is certain that the implant has failed. Good luck.

You should be okay after silicone implant leakage

+1

Your question is not clear. However, if you are referring to silicone leakage from an implant, then you should be okay. This happens in a small percentage of women.

A ton of studies have been done examining the safety of silcone implants and none have been able to show any association with other diseases in the body.

However, I recommend you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, if you have not done so already. You should do this as soon as you can so you can take care of this problem.

Not sure of your question

+1

I'm not sure if you are describing a situation where older silicone implants have been removed that had leaked or not. If you have been told from an MRI or mammogram that you most likely have a leaking silicone implant, the beast way to treat this is by removing them at surgery with replacement if you desire. Older silicone, from more than 20+ years ago, is more liquid and may incite an inflammatory response and may make future mammograms difficult to read. You would do best to have them surgically removed. I would recommend that you locate a local board-certified plastic surgeon to have a consultation with so you can know your options.

Dr Edwards

Web reference: http://medwardsmd.com/plasticsurgery_questions1.html