Is There a Body Cream I Can Use for Age Spots on my Arms and Legs?

I have too many to spot treat. It would be nice to use a cream for the whole body to fade the spots. I am 53 and have no age spots on my face at all. I have used a retinol cream on my face for 20 years.

Cream For Age Spots on Arms and Legs

+2

There are some creams that contain hydroquinone which helps to gradually fade age spots. Because hydroquinone can have toxic effects, the FDA has imposed a three month limit on its continuous use. Other countries have banned its inclusion in OTC products altogether.

Laser treatments are much safer and give faster results. The laser energy works by penetrating the skin to break up the melanin pigment. Depending on what wavelength is used, lasers are also capable of breaking up the microscopic structures within the skin that contains the melanin.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for age spots on the arms and legs

+2

One of the most effective ways to reverse sunspots due to the effects of chronic sun damage to your skin is by using a combination of two prescription strength medications: 4% hydroquinone and tretinoin cream. Prescription strength 4% hydroquinone is better than any OTC product for lightening dark spots in the skin. These dark spots are typically due to chronic sun damage so daily use of sunscreens is essential in your treatment. Combining prescription-only tretinoin cream with hydroquinone will make it even more effective. By the way, Tretinoin cream has been proven to be much more effective than it's OTC counterpart, Retinol cream, that you have used for the past 20 years.  I recommend the Obagi Nu-Derm System which uses both tretinoin cream and hydroquinone to visibly lighten age spots as well as the fine lines and wrinkles that are due to chronic sun exposure.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment for Age Spots on the Body?

+2

Hi RLA.  If the spots you see are truly solar lentigines, sun spots, then there is no better treatment than q-switched Nd:Yg laser treatments.

The reason we are big proponents of q-switched lasers over creams is that a hydroquionone based cream might be able to hide the spots, but this laser will be able to permanently remove them.  In addition, based on an FDA alert, we do not recommend that our patients use hydroquinone based products for more than 90 days straight.  

First step would be to go to your GP or dermatologist to have these spots identified and then from there if they are sunspots, find a qualified and experienced laser practitioner close by that uses these lasers.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Creams to decrease arm and leg brown spots

+1
There are prescription and non-prescription topical creams to decrease brown spots.  Some of the products include, Kjoic acid and hydroquinone.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon