Liposuction with Existing Abdominal Surgery Scars?

I had a hysterectomy at 33 and due to complications caused from that surgery including endometriosis(sp?) and then adhesions binding up my ureters and ovaries. I had two subsequent corrective surgeries plus the removal of my ovaries, all cutting me on the same bikini line within two years. This has resulted in a very thick tight band of scar tissue that my belly tends to fold over. I'm also hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) and have had trouble with my weight because I was left untreated for ten years [turns out all I had probably needed was thyroid treatment and NOT a hysterectomy]. My question is, if due to all the abdominal adhesions i know i still have, plus the extra weight that i cannot seem to lose, is there any form of liposuction like that Ultrashape method that would be my best option? I do have a huge scar from gallbladder surgery from two years ago but i most definitely don't see how a reverse tummy tuck would fit into that same scar as it is diagonal and not just under my breasts. What if you're not a good candidate for liposuction due to previous surgical complications?

Without a proper physical exam it is difficult to give...

+2

Without a proper physical exam it is difficult to give you an adequate answer. However, if you do not have any hernias, liposuction can be performed safely. Also, a modified tummy tuck may be possible, but this really depends upon your anatomy and old scar positions. Certainly, you are at higher risk if you have old surgical scars on your abdomen.

If you just have a small amount of skin along the lower abdomen that bothers you because of "folding over", it may be softened by an excision just in this area. Again, it is hard to give you a definite answer without examining you first.

The Best Body Contouring procedures for pre-existing abdominal scars.

+1
Usually, an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck can be performed with preexisting abdominal scars. If the preexisting scar is from a Caesarian section, then the same scar is used to begin the tummy tuck. The other common abdominal scar is an up and down scar from the belly button to the pubic area in the middle of the stomach. This vertical scar can typically be removed at the time of the tummy tuck. Of course, this is a question that can really only be answered specifically after examining you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)