Is a Body Chemical Peel Best for Hyperpigmentation on Dark (African American) Skin?

I have many small dark (hyperpigmented) spots on my arms and legs caused by "picking" mosquito bites, cuts, scrapes, etc as a child. Would a body chemical peel help to lighten/erase these marks or would microdermabrasion be best? By the way, I am of medium brown complexion. Thank you!

TCA peels are excellent for lightening discolorations in people of color!

+1

Chemical peels done with TCA is a marvelous way to even skin tones in darker complected individuals.  I would start with a low concentration and increase to what the individual patient's tolerance is.  Expect gradual lightening with monthly peels.  Six to eight sessions minimum is the norm.

Sugar Land Dermatologic Surgeon

Improving Hyperpigmentation of the Body

+1

Chemical peeling when done appropriately and safely by a well-trained, board-certified physician can be very helpful in improving hyperpigmentation (discoloration) on and off the face. It is especially important in darker skinned individuals to be more conservative initially to see how the skin reacts so as to avoid worsening of the discoloration.  We also do microdermabrasion which can be helpful in lightening brown spots as well.  It is hard to say which is better without seeing you in person, and often I use both treatments in the same person.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation and discussion of treatment options. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD