How Will my Body/Breasts Handle 500 CC Implants?

I am 26 years old. I am 5'8, 135 lbs, and have breastfed 1 child. My breasts are a 34 B. Having spent a lot of time doing the rice test, I would strongly prefer a 500 cc implant. My doctor initially recommended around 400 cc but agreed to doing 500 cc is that is what I choose. Is this considered a large implant, taking my stats into consideration? How much more at risk am I for complications by choosing 500 cc's instead of 400 cc's. Doesn't seem like a huge difference.

500 cc implants

+3

500 cc implants are quite large and may be too big for your frame.   A full exam and discussion would be performed during consultation.  500 cc implants may be too wide for your frame and may lead to sagging more quickly than smaller implants.

Breast implants (500 ccs) are really big.

+3

How to pick breast implant sizes?  500 cc's will look fake, but read on.

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast implant size

+3

500 cc implants on your body frame will probably give you a D cup breast and I think that it is possible to get you to that size. It will increase tension on the skin so that you are at a higher risk of wound disruption and infection, which may lead to loss of the implant. Perhaps you and your surgeon can compromise on 450cc. In general, postpartum women can handle a larger implant like a 500cc implant because the skin has been stretched out by pregnancy and breast feeding. Visit with your plastic surgeon again and maybe he can be the final judge of implant size by using a sizer during the operation to see if you can candle a 500 cc implant. I think you can.

Good Luck,

Leo Lapuerta MD

Triple Board Recertified Plastic Surgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

+2

In Southern California where I practice, many women choose implants much larger than 500cc, even if they are small framed and have small breasts.  The main thing is that you understand the potential ramifications, and if you choose to have 500cc, that your surgeon chooses a profile that will best match your breast diameter. Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

500 cc Implants

+2

In my opinion you will NOT have a "natural" look if you decide to go with the 500cc implants. You will want to go with an implant that is close to the width of the bottom of your breast. Also, another concern may be the incision site for the implant. It would have to be underneath the breast. There is no way, based on the size of your areloa, that a 500 cc implant would fit that way. I think these are all important factors to consider when choosing size.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Appropriate implant selection

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.   I would need a few more measurements to offer an accurate assessment on which implants are best.    Generally speaking, the risk and complications of implant surgery go up proportionally with larger implants.

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

500 cc Implants

+1

Yes, these are very large implants!  Given your anatomy, there will be a price to pay over time for implanting these large devices.  As the others have stated, soft tissue changes do take place as a result of the forces caused by large implants.  400 cc might be more than your tissues can safely handle.  These concerns can easily be addressed in a quality consultation.

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD

Large Breast Implants

+1

I agree with Dr. Buchanan (with whom I was a general surgery resident many years ago) that a 500cc implant will not be appropriate in your situation unless you are seeking the "fake look".   Implants which are larger than your breast width, which a 500cc implant would be in your case, will not not lead to a naturally appearing but augmented breast.  Only you can decide what is important to you.

John Whitt, MD

Handling a 500cc breast implant

+1

It is true that your body may be able to 'handle' a 500cc breast implant, though we most often size implants based on breast and chest diameter, projection, shape and size of the skin envelope, available breast tissue to cover. Implant volume is only a number, it is the look of the breast and result which will matter most. Make certain your surgeon knows what you want to look like. If he has the message loud and clear and 400cc is the answer so be it. Of course we can get the larger implant in. Is it what you want to look like?

peterejohnsonmd