Why is Body Bigger After Smart Lipo Than Before?

I had laser lipo a week ago on my upper and lower abs and love handles. The next day after my procedure, I was very pleased with my results. Next week all of a sudden my stomach became very swollen and hard! bigger than it was before I had the procedure. I feel I have not accomplished anything.

Swelling after smart lipo

+1
Whether smart or conventional liposuction, there is swelling that develops not for a day or so after and then will take weeks to go away. You might have been told to wear a compression garment and you should as this may help.

Post liposuction swelling

+1

Almost any form of liposuction or for that matter surgery will cause post-surgical swelling. This is usually worst a few days after surgery and gradually subsides over several months.

It is the normal healing process

+1

You had lipo only a week ago and you still have a lot of swelling. You need to make sure that your salt intake is limited and be patient.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Don't be discouraged

+1

Try not to worry.   There is typically a 2-3 week period where there is swelling and changes to the tissues.  You can experience swelling, firmness or hard areas and even areas that appear to be uneven or asymmetric.  These are all temporary and usually disappear by 2-3 months.  It will take about 3 months to reach the maximal effect.  Keep in touch with your physician, follow his/her instructions and try not to worry.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon