What Kind of Results Should I Expect if I Have Rhinoplasty? (Appearance Wise and Pain, I'm Terrified!) (photo)

Hi, so as you can see my nose is too large for my face, and I have wanted to get it done for over 8 years, but fear and money have been holding me back. My family is not on board because they think I am body dysmorphic and do not need it. Of course I don't need it, but it is much larger than I would like, and I would look and feel much better if I were to get it done. Anyway, I just wanted some input as to what I should ask for in a consult, and also some honest feedback on how bad recovery is!

What to expect

+2

Hello. You can expect very good results. Your nose is not bad to begin with but like you said if it makes you feel better about yourself you would be a very good candidate for rhinoplasty. As far as recovery most patients report little pain, as far as surgery is concerned, however discomfort is inevitable. Schedule an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more.
Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty  Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Patient education for management of patient expectations

+2

I think that your statement is exactly correct cosmetic surgery is something that you may desire but is not necessary.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon is needed to help educate you about the procedure.  The use of computer imaging is also very helpful in planning a rhinoplasty and helping your surgeon understand your goals.  

rhinoplasty recovery

+2

The rhinoplasty procedure involves reducing the width of the tip, the bridge, decrease the projection, and removal of a hump. The recovery involves a cast placed across the nose for a week, 2 weeks of  visible degree of bruising and swelling and a full year for full healing to take effect.There is no packing placed on the inside of the nose, so  there is minimal discomfort. Any body dysmorphic disorder will need to be addressed with a psychiatrist prior to undergoing any elective cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery. Virtual rhinoplasty software is available  on our website to give you an idea of what your new nose might look like.

Results of rhinoplasty and amount of discomfort.

+2

Results of rhinoplasty and amount of discomfort and pain depends on the skill of the surgeon and how much experience he has. Choose a very experienced surgeon who can show you noses he has done which appear natural. The more you can learn from his patients who have had the procedure will ensure as much as possible that you will have a good result. 

What Kind of Results Should I Expect if I Have Rhinoplasty?

+2

Many thanks for the question. It seems that its your tip that can be refined and this can make a difference on your face and your liking about your nose. Its as good as painless since there is no pain after 48 hours since bones are not broken there is not bruising.Just find the right person since its the most difficult part of any Rhinoplasty. Wish you good luck

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Recovery is probably much easier than you are expecting

+2

These photos show a nose that probably has some excess width at the tip, and maybe a profile view would show it's longer than you like, too.  The recovery depends very much on who performs the operation, but my patients are typically happy being seen in public right when the splint comes off, seven days after surgery. Almost nobody takes the pain medication I prescribe. See the attached link for a before-and-after morph of your nose. You should look at a surgeon's before and after photos when deciding whom to hire to perform your surgery. Rhinoplasty is not a commodity: every surgeon performs the operation with different levels of skill.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to expect after rhinoplasty

+1

Plastic surgery is a personal decision, and it is something one should do if they are generally unhappy with a particular feature. You do have a nice nose, but if there is something that bothers you then a rhinoplasty may be a good option. During a consult, you should communicate your concerns to your prospective surgeon and let them know exactly what you are unhappy with. Many surgeons use computer imaging software, which will allow them to morph a photo of you and give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. This will establish great communication between the two of you. With recovery, you should expect the following things:

1) A hard cast on your nose the first week followed by brown paper tape the second week.
2) Mild pain, which can be controlled with painkillers prescribed by your surgeon.
3) Avoiding any strenuous activity. You will want to take it easy the first week and rest with your head elevated, and gradually increase activity the second week.
4) Avoiding exercise for 4-5 weeks following surgery.

Each surgeon will have specific guidelines they like their patients to follow after surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expectations for rhinoplasty

+1

From your description of concerns I think you would be a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  You understand that this procedure would help you feel better about your appearance.  The next step is consulting with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon (or a few) to discuss your goals and a surgical plan.  For most patients recovery is not difficult.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Some noses do not need to brake the bones just adapt / algunas narices no requieren fracturarse

+1

some noses do not need to fracture the bone,just reshape the soft tissue and cartilage at nasal l tip, that means recovery time 5 days,any general anesthesia,do not touch the bone  even the septum, any  tapoon,  and the cast lasts only 5 days.

algun tipo de nariz no requieren fractura, ni taponamiento no tocar el hueso o el tabique, esto requiere solo anestesia local y sedacion es ambulatoria, saludos

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Know what to expect after rhinoplasty

+1

Gone are the days when a surgeon will simply "do" your nose just like the last few he did. Individual difference and preference, and our multicultural society, have made individual nuances important. You shoud know just what you like, and know how you are expected to look after rhinoplasty. Ask for computer simulation and see for yourself what to expect.