Board Certified Surgeons?

I want to know how can I check if a surgeon is board certified? What sources can I use to find out if a surgeon is legit?

Board certification matters

To become board certified you are required to undergo appropriate training in your speciality and pass rigorous test. It may take over a decade in some cases before you reach the end of training. The best chance to be operated by some one that is well versed in the procedures is to be operated on by a board certified surgeon in the field you are seeking help.

you can find listing of all the board certified plastic surgeons at the official website of the: American Board of Plastic Surgeons.

Good luck

Board certification

You can go to the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) and look your surgeon up. It will tell you if they are board certified and by what which board and field. The ABMS has 24 member boards and the only one that certifies plastic surgeons is the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). 

Luis H. Macias, MD

Board certification

You may go to the American Board of Medical Specialties website and check your surgeon's board certification for free after registering.  If he is a plastic surgeon, he/she would also be listed on the American Society of Plastic Surgery website...good luck.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon