If a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Uses Glue on the Tissue As Well As Sutures is There Any Hope for Normal Facial Sensation?

I feel like I'm wearing a clay mask and it's been a year since my face/neck lift.

Facial Sensation Changes 1 Year After Facelift

+2

Sensation may improve for up to 2 years after facelift.  Tissue sealants or tissue glue for closure should not affect this process.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sensation Loss 1 Year Post Facelift

+2

The use of tissue glues and sutures to close incisions after a facelift should have no effect on sensation. Neither should tissue sealants placed under the skin elevated during the operation. Facial sensation does typically improve for 12-18 months after surgery, but I would discuss this with your surgeon.

Senasation after a facelift

+2

the manner in which the incisions are closed will not affect the sensation of the cheek. Using tissue adhesives underneath the skin will possibly speed healing but will also not affect the sensation in the skin. The sensation is altered because small nerves are cut and it takes time for them to grow back and become functional.

Julio Garcia, MD

Absolutely

+2

This is a technique that helps the open space underneath the skin stick-down.  The tissue glue can be very helpful in this situation and does not alter sensation.  The sensation changes result from the actually face lift surgery which will correct itself in months to come.  The clay face may be just he tighter tissue from the facelift and this will soften as you age.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

+2

The use of tissue glue and sutures to close the skin after a Face Lift will have no effect on the re-growth of the cutaneous sensory nerves of the face.  These are disrupted anytime the skin is dissected but these should re-establish themselves returning sensation, to the skin, within several months.  

Tissue glues during a facelift

+2
The idea behind tissue glues after a facelift is to reduce swelling and bleeding under the skin raised and lifted to speed recovery, and reduce complications. The glues are 'biologic' and disappear during the healing process and therefore will not cause any change in the sensation of the cheeks. Our patients recover sensation by three months.
peterejohnsonmd.com

Glue after face lift

+1

Whether or not glue was used should not affect your sensation at one year.  Some numbness is very common in all face lifts but typically by 1.5 - 2 years the feeling is back to near normal

Sam Naficy, MD

Tissue glues or sealants for facelift

+1

Tissue glues may be used to reinforce and seal suture closures of incisions in a facelift.  Fibrin sealants may be used to improve adherance of the skin to underlying tissue after closure, reducing swelling and the incidence of seroma formation.  In either case the sensory nerves of the face should not be affected.  It is normal to have decreased sensation of the face after a facelift but this should resolve in two to three months.  I recommend discussing with your surgeon to identify a cause and treatment.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon