BMI of 3 Can I Go Through With Rhinoplasty & Lower Eyelid Lift?

I am 5'3 and about 210 lbs... Beyond my weight, and a slightly high cholesterol level, I have no other health issues... Can I go through with rhinoplasty and lower lid lift?

Obesity and cosmetic surgery

+2

Assuming you get medical clearance for surgery I cannot see why you could not have it. Furthermore if you lose weight in the future it should not adversely affected your eyelid and rhinoplasty surgery results. The same could not be said for breast reduction surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Elevated BMI & rhinoplasty

+2

According to your height & weight, your BMI is 37.  While this is of course detrimental to your overall well-being, it is also a risk factor for general anesthesia. The surgical procedures you desire are extremely safe with low rates of complication, but if something were to happen to cause an undesirable outcome, you might not forgive yourself. Cosmetic surgery is elective and pursuing rhinoplasty and lower blepharoplasty may therefore not be your best option at present.

I would suggest if you could reduce your BMI to under 30, I think your primary doctor, your anesthesiologist, and your cosmetic surgeon would all be more comfortable with you undertaking rhinoplasty & lower eyelid rejuvenation, and together with the weight loss this would represent a really fantastic change, both in your appearance, your improved sense of self, and your overall health!      

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery and weigth issues

+2

A rhinoplasty and lower eyelid surgery certainly can be performed in overweigth patients, but it sounds like you need to get preoperative medical clearance to make sure that you are healthy enough.

+2

Your weight and/ or BMI will not be a contraindication for rhinoplasty and eyelid surgery as long as you are otherwise healthy enough to undergo surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

BMI is one of many factors that safe surgeons use to determine whether a patient is a good candidate for any elective procedure.

+2

Your pre-operative evaluation should include a thorough medical history and examiantion, and where appropriate, pre-operative clearance from your physician.  In addition to general medical issues, the particular elective surgical procedure you desire is an important consideration as to whether the BMI makes the surgery too risky.  For abdominoplasty or breast reduction, I would wait and work to lower the BMI before proceeding with surgery.  For the two particular procedures you desire, if your overall medical history is otherwise good, and you have pre-operative medical clearance for the type of anesthesia your surgeon recommends for this procedure, then the BMI would not preclude you form having this surgery done safely. 

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with high BMI

+2

Having a high BMI does not preclude you from having a rhinoplasty as long as proper anesthesia/airway precautions are taken

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty and Lower Eyelid Lift with BMI of 3

+2

Your primary goal should be to improve your health. Having said that, you can have a rhinoplasty and lower eyelid lift after clearance from your primary care physician.

Safe Anesthesia for Rhinoplasty

+2

The way to ensure the safety of any surgical procedure, especially an elective cosmetic one, is to make sure you have an appropriate medical clearance and/or cardiology clearance, and that your surgeon operates at an AAAHC accredited surgery center with experienced, board-certified anesthesiologists.  Your BMI alone does not preclude you from having a safe surgery and normal post-operative recovery.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD