Should Patient with BMI of 27 Lose Weight First Before Tummy Tuck?

My body fat is in the healthy range (18%) yet my BMI (Body Mass Index) is 27 and I need to lose an additional 10lbs to be at a BMI of 25. Should I proceed with a Tummy Tuck or wait til I am at an ideal weight for my height?

Should I be at an ideal weight before tummy tuck?

Hi there-

I am not a believer that patients should put themselves through extreme nutritional and exercise patterns in order to achieve a certain number on a scale before surgery.

I think the best way to approach this is to think of it in revers to the way we normally would- instead of thinking of a number on a scale and doing whatever it takes to achieve that number, I would think very carefully about the lifestyle that is safe, healthy, and sustainable for you over the long term.

Whatever weight you attain living this healthy lifestyle is the weight appropriate to proceed with surgery at.

7009 Dr. Phillips Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32819

Wait to get a tummy tuck until you're close to your ideal body weight

Hi Ktfazza - If you get a tummy tuck while you're actively losing weight, your skin may sag even more comprimising your tummy tuck results. However, if you're "stuck" and can't lose anymore weight, then it should be okay to proceed. Don't use a tummy tuck as a weight loss method. Instead, use it to reshape and improve the contour of your midsection after weight loss. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

10807 Falls Rd
Lutherville-Timonium, MD 21093

Loosing weight before tummy tuck

My advice to patients is for them to be at their normal weight. This is the weight that you normally are at with your usual activities. It really is not practical for you to try and reach your "ideal" weight or an artificial weight because after surgery you are most likely going to go back to your normal activities. So, your surgery should be based on this weight.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Should I lose my last 10 pounds remaining before having a Tummy Tuck

I personally do NOT think that you should postpone your Tummy Tuck to lose your remaining 10 pounds. Yes - IDEALLY - it would be nice if you were at your ideal weight but I have operated on MANY women with BMI's of 27 and achieved great Tummy Tuck results.

I you REALISTICALLY think you can lose the weight without starving yourself - and are willing to do so - go ahead. But, if you really cannot, I would forget about it and just have the Tummy Tuck. You earned it.

Dr. P. Aldea

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Fitness not weight

Get an assessment of your level of fitness and your lifestyle as far as diet and exercise and activity is concerned. Your weight is a secondary concern. If you are fit, then a plastic surgeon can recommend what you will need to achieve your goals.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Your current weight is adequate for a tummy tuck

If you're planning on losing weight, and it's something that's relatively easy to do, by all means, lose it before surgery. That being said, your current weight is more than acceptable for getting a great result with tummy tuck surgery. In addition, fluctuation of only 10 lbs. probably will not change the results of your surgery all that much.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Weight loss before Tummy Tuck

I respect that there are many opinions.  My opinion is that if your weight is stable, and you are within about 10# of your target weight, you are good to go.  You are invited to check out my video - check link below.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

Tummy Tuck best done if patient is in ideal or stable weight

If a patient's weight is stable that is the time to do the abdominoplasty. Many times after a procedure the patient will loose more weight because of the improved self esteem after a "tummy tuck." Just as often if a patient recently lost a lot of weight and then had the procedure they gain weight. So I beleive that if a patients weight is stable and they are medically safe to have the surgery , that is the time o do the operation.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

1204 5th Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104

Tummy tuck and weight loss

The closer you are to your ideal weight, the better the results from your abdominal surgery will be. Nonetheless, many women undergo a tummy tuck even at higher weights and still can achieve very good results. It is important to be realistic about what you can expect if you do have your surgery while you are above your target weight. Good luck.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

1021 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028

Tummy Tuck with BMI of 27

I think it is fine for you to proceed with a tummy tuck at this time.  You may obtain a slightly better result with an additional 10 pound weight loss, but the difference will probably be negligible.  It is now thought that other measurements (such as body fat percentage) are more predictable than BMI.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207