Blurry Vision After Lasik

I had lasik surgery on both eyes on Friday, Feb 11, 2011. The Dr said that everything is healing as planned. My vision is blurry for near and alittle for far (I was far-sighted). He told me although most patients see immediate results, some do take longer to heal. I been very anxious about the healing and am afraid that the surgery just didn't work for me. No doubt that I could see better with my contacts. Could this blurriness be normal? I am squinting to see better, any advice?

Vision After LASIK

+4

Visual acuity after LASIK generally improves over the first 4 months, with the bulk of improvement occuring inthe first few days.  If, after 4 months, the vision is still blurry, there may be some residual refractive error, which can be corrected through an enhancement.  It is important to talk with your surgeon about your concerns!

West Orange Ophthalmologist

Expected Recovery Time From Lasik

+4

How exciting it must be to finally free yourself from glasses and contacts! I understand your concern with regards to your post-procedure recovery. Many patients are misguided in how fast the recovery period. In reality there is no set answer as to how long the recovery could take. Some patients are 100% recovered several days after their procedure while others could take up a several weeks. This is all determined by how an individual’s body heals and that can vary from person to person. Therefore, do not be worried at this point, but continue to communicate with your surgeon about your concerns so he/she can properly address them. Be patient and give it a couple more weeks to heal, in the meantime there are steps you can take to help with the healing process from the use of lubricating eye drops, taking supplements such as flaxseed oil, lid hygiene or warm compresses. Discuss with your surgeon for further advice and instructions. It is always important to select a good surgeon who will communicate with your before, during and after your procedure so you can have peace of mind. Although LASIK is a safe procedure finding the right doctor to perform it is imperative. Good luck to you and I hope you have a fast recovery!

City Of Industry Ophthalmologist

Blurry Vision After LASIK

+3

LASIK for farsightedness involves reshaping of the peripheral cornea and usually takes longer to heal.  Healing may require as much as 6 months so do not be too concerned.  Ask your doctor to follow you closely to evaluate adequacy of your vision for driving and dryness. This may help you while you are healing both the physicial side effects such as fluctuating vision due to dryness and the worry of not having crisp vision. Although LASIK is rapid, it is a real surgery and does require healing which may vary among individuals.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Vision after LASIK LASEK postop recovery process

+3

This "problem" is generated by doctors not being more clear to patients that the results after LASIK are not instantaneous. I was the 1st LASIK surgeon in NYC to get LASIK himself (way back in 1999) for high myopia and high astigmatism, and it took me about 2-3 weeks to achieve a crisp, stable vision. This patient is saying she is "still" blurry and it's only been 10 days!

To improve your vision post-laser vision correction, it's vital to drink lots of water, avoid caffeine and alcohol, and use PRESERVATIVE FREE ARTIFICIAL TEARS EVERY HOUR (the kind in the vials, NOT BOTTLES) for a MONTH AFTERWARDS. This will greatly help with the recovery process.

Doctors are also not clear with patients that we always slightly overcorrect everyone postop, or with the small regression of effect that happens with normal healing in the first month they'd all wind up undercorrected. So it's NORMAL for a nearsighted person to be initially farsighted, in which case her distance vision would be better than her reading vision for the first few weeks.

Unfortunately, I do have some mild dry eyes and glare at night, and this is PERMANENT because I had my cornea cut with LASIK. In 2005, I became the 1st eye surgeon in NYC to switch his entire practice to the safer, noncutting LASEK, which avoids causing dry eyes or night glare, as no flap is cut (which is the cause of both).

New York Ophthalmologist

Some patients to take longer to heal from LASIK

+2

Some patients, especially those who are far-sighted (hyperopes), do take longer as the corneal shape is steepened by the laser treatment rather than flattened as it is in near-sighted (myopic) patients.

New York Ophthalmologist

Blurry After Lasik

+2

It is normal to have some intermittent blurriness for the first week or so after Laser Vision Correction. There can also be some fluctuation in the vision, meaning one eye can see better than the other for a few days. It sounds like your symptoms are not unusual and fit the standard recovery period. Obviously, if this persists or worsens, you should call your surgeon right away.

Web reference: http://www.kameen.com

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Blurry Vision After LASIK

+1

Far sighted people do take longer to stabilize after LASIK surgery and the outcomes are slightly less predictable, but still excellent. Vision after a hyperopic (far sighted) LASIK can continue to improve for a year. If the vision is still not clear after that time most likely the patient still has some residual refractive error and may require an enhancement or something else is going on (dry eyes, cataracts, etc). The best course is to have a thorough exam by your surgeon.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.