Blurry Left Eye 10 Years After Lasik?

I had laser eye surgery in 2003 and in the past couple of years my left eye has started to get blurry. Now it seems almost as bad as before the surgery. What should I do?

Blurry Vision 10 years after LASIK

+3

It is essential that you go see an Ophthalmologist for a full evaluation. Your visual decline might be a result of some slippage of the effect of the laser correction. We definitely saw more of this 10 years ago than we do with current lasers. If that is the case it could be corrected with an enhancement. More seriously, however, this could also be signs of glaucoma or cataract formation. I have so often heard that after LASIK patients rarely ever see an eye doctor again. This is a silly notion, because, yes, you may not need glasses or contacts anymore, but you still have eyes and things can still go wrong with them. If I were you, I would make an eye appointment ASAP.

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Re-Treatment

+2

Go for a consultation with a refractive surgeron to see whether you are eligible for an additional corrective procedure.

Ilan Cohen, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

10years After Lasik

+1

It is highly recommended that in your situation you go and visit an ophthalmologist specialized in refractive surgery. You may just need an enhancement or the specialist can conduct a full eye exam to see if there could be something else in the back of the eye that is affecting your vision.

Rajesh Khanna, MD
Beverly Hills Ophthalmologist

Blurry After LASIK

+1

Ten years is a long time and a lot can happen in that period.  Cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc. can all develop in that time frame.  Your changes in vision may or may not relate to your prior surgery and may or may not be potentially be serious.  The most important thing is to be seen by your surgeon right away to find out the cause.

Michael K. Tracy, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Depends on your age and where you started.

+1

There are many reasons why your eye may have become more blurred over time, but without knowing more details, it is difficult to guess.  If you started out as hyperopic (far-sighted) there may have been some natural progression of the hyperopia over time, which would have occurred whether you had surgery or not.  If myopic (near-sighted), it is unusual to have significant regression over time.  I would recommend a complete eye exam to look for a problem like cataract formation or significant regression of the LASIK treatment.

Thomas S. Boland, MD
Scranton Ophthalmologist