Blurred Vision/Irritated Eye 3 Weeks Post Blepharoplasty, Should I be Concerned?

I had blepharoplasty almost 3 weeks ago and my eyes look great. However, my left eye still has some swelling (which is normal) but feels like it has a cold in this eye, is very irritated, constantly tearing and my vision is very blurry in this eye. It does not seem to be improving. Should I see an eye doc or just give it time?

+1

Swelling in the thin skin of the eyelid can take time to resolve. That swelling can make it difficult for your eye to remain closed while sleeping and that will allow your eye to dry out and then the symptoms you describe will start. Using eye drops and sleeping with one of those light shields will help, but in time as the swelling goes down, that should all go away.

Give your eyes time to adjust

+1

After eyelid surgery, the eyes may be more exposed to air and thus will have increased tear evaporation. Your eyes usually will adjust. You may need to use lubricating tears to tide you over until this happens.

See your surgeon or an ophthalmologist to assess your ocular surface more closely.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Healing after eyelid surgery

+1

healing after eyelid surgery can have many causes for delays:

• make sure your eye (cornea) has been checked)
  • you may have chemosis or swelling
  • this will respond to steroids, taping, gently pressure
  • make sure your eyes close completely at night

Eye problems

+1

If you are having problems with one eye, then you should probably see your surgeon to be properly evaluated.

See your surgeon if symptoms persist at 3 weeks post-op

+1
@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p { margin-right: 0in; margin-left: 0in; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }

Although this may be due to chronic corneal exposure or irritation from vaious causes, the symptoms should be abating significantly by now. I would recommend returning for a follow up with your surgeon or see an ophthalmologist for evaluation. Keep your eye moist with artificial tears and protect it from chronic exposure in the mean time.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

These are serious symptoms and require a slit lamp examination of the eye by an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon.

+1

The irritation is not normal.  Your eyes need a careful examination by a surgeon trained to properly assess and treat whatever is going on with the eyes.  If your surgeon is not board certified in ophthalmology, then they will not be able to assess why your eyes are irritated.  Reassurance is meaningless unless it is based on a careful evaluation.  Have your surgeon refer you for this assessment today if they are unable to conduct this examination themselves.  Alternatively call your general ophthalmologist and get in to be seen today.

Eye irritation 3 weeks after surgery should improve.

+1

Your symptoms could be due to a number of different issues.  Slight exposure of the eye or lashes rubbing against the eye can cause the symptoms you describe.  The most important next step for you would be to see your surgeon so they can examine, treat and reassure you.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD