How to Fix Blunt Nose Tip After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, my surgeon has removed too much of my tip and has made it too blunt. Is there any way to add to the tip to make it slightly longer and more defined? I had asked my surgeon for a modest supratip break however my nose is now completely straight. Is there any way a revision could achieve this supratip break?

Tip Augmentation

+1

Tip augmentation, usually using cartilage, is frequently done to increase tip projection and definition in both  primary and revision rhinoplasties. Get a second opinion from another  surgeon before having your ti revision.

Yes it is possible.

+1

Only a tip-plasty may need to be done, but one would have to see the nose. Also, you need to make sure you see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does many of these per year. Wait 6 - 12 months at least. See many photos of his revisions of noses like yours.  

Tip can be corrected, but it depends

+1

Hi,

The tip can be corrected as long as it fits your nose. First off you have to wait about a year from the previous rhinoplasty. Then your nose has to be evaluated as a whole. If everything is near perfect but the tip is just "blunt" as you describe then through a closed revision rhinoplasty approach, a tip graft can be slid into a precise pocket to create the shape you desire.

However, other issues that need to be taken into account are the projection of your nose (how far the tip protrudes), the rotation of your nose (how up turned the nose is) and the dorsum (or bridge profile) of your nose. As a 3D structure, any changes to one aspect of the nose will affect the other views as well and correction of one aspect of view may create a new problem and that is why I said the whole nose has to be evaluated and not just the bluntness of the tip.

In summary, the problem is correctable. But other aspects need to be taken into consideration. Make sure your surgeon performs computer imaging so you can see what you are getting yourself into before you go through another surgery.

Good luck.

Shervin Naderi, MD, FACS
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon