Blue Light Therapy with Levulan Freckles?

I am scheduled for Bluelight therapy with levulan for my acne but I want to know will it also help with freckles and fine lines? Also, will I peel? I want a second opinion other than my derm. Thanks

Most people have PDT for acne with blue light.

Thanks for your question. Most people have PDT for acne with blue light. In the original studies with blue light when treating pre-skin cancers, the cosmetic appearance of the skin improved in most everyone treated. This means that your skin will look and feel better. Fine lines may improve and some pigmented areas may lighten. If these issues are a true concern to you, you might consider having the provider add in IPL therapy to the blue light or just use IPL to treat your acne with PDT. These are all off-label uses of PDT and will be an out-of-pocket expense.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Blue Light Therapy For Freckles & Acne

Studies have shown that photodamage does improve with the treatment of PDT (which includes an improvement in the appearance of fines lines and freckles). Some patients do peel after PDT.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon