Blue Cross Blue Shield of TX Breast Reduction Coverage

I am from RGV, TX and I was wondering if my insurance would help me cover the costs of a breast reduction. I am 20 years old,32 DD, 5'0" tall and I weigh about 110. I do have some minor grooves on my shoulders from the bra straps, and I do endure back pains although I ignore it. I was just wondering if Blue Cross Blue shield will cover some or all of the costs of a breast reduction. Thanks!

Insurance coverage for breast reduction

+1

Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction.  More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit.  If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage.  Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight).  Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes.   The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option.   Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast Reduction Insurance Coverage?

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Based on your description you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery; for  physical and emotional reasons.
The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction coverage

+1

Every insurance compnay has different criteria to assess whether or not they will cover a breast reduction.  You should contact your insurance company and find out.

Insurance coverage of breast reduction

+1

Insurance companies have different criteria for coverage of breast reduction surgery, including symptoms attributable to the weight of the breasts (such as pain and bra grooving), and amount of breast tissue expected to be removed at the time of the surgery (mass in grams). After consultation with a plastic surgeon, his/her office should be able to assist you with submitting all the requisite information for pre-authorization of your surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Insurance coverage for breast reduction.

+1

80% of breast reduction questions on RealSelf are about insurance coverage. Here are some helpful points.

1) Insurance companies try very hard not to pay for breast reduction, even though they should. Even small breast reductions relieve many symptoms such as back pain and shoulder pain, and even some types of headaches.

2) Very big reductions (like from an F cup to a C cup) will usually be covered.

3) Many policies will pay for breast reduction if 500 grams (a little more than a pound) or more are removed from each breast.

4) Some policies take your height and weight into account. So that if you are tiny, smaller reductions will be covered. Find out the details of your policy.

5) DON'T get too much of a reduction just to satisfy the insurance company. You will be unhappy with tiny breasts.

6) Your surgeon needs to request pre-certification IN WRITING, and attach as much evidence as possible.

7) Evidence includes letters from your internist, orthopedic surgeon, and/or chiropractor stating that breast reduction will relieve your symptoms.

8) Some companies require that you try "alternative treatments" such as weight loss and physical therapy first.

9) Don't give up. If the first request is denied, demand an appeal.

10) If there is no insurance, and you cannot afford to pay a private surgeon, go to the plastic surgery clinic of a teaching hospital. There, residents do the surgery under supervision, and the cost is minimal. In New York City, we train residents and fellows at Lenox Hill Hospital, and they do good work.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Blue Cross Blue Shield of TX breast reduction coverage

+1

Find a participating boarded plastic surgeon in your area. From your description you are a perfect insurance covered candidate for a breast reduction. Good Luck from Miami Dr. B

Insurance and breast reduction

+1

Find a participating surgeon with BCBS and then schedule a consulatiion. Upon completeing your history and physical examination, probably including photographs, your surgeon can then prepare a letter of predetermination of benefits to be submtted to your carrier to ascertain your level of coverage.