Tummy Buldge

Hi Doc I am 42 yr female. and have 2 kids of age 8 and 5yrs . Also I am type 2 diabetic .I had it for last 4.5 yrs. However my stomach after my second pregnancy always look too big, as tough I am 5-6 months pregnent.I often get asked how many months are you. I am so embarssed all the time. I try to wear baggy cloths just to hide my stomach. I am 63-kg and 5.2inch tall. Been on diet and excercise. Can you please help me what shall I do next. I live in Melbourne Australia. Regards Sangeeta

Tummy tuck candidate?

+1

It is difficult to tell without a photo and personally evaluating you, but people who have especially slack skin in their midsection need more than what liposuction alone can offer. Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. In the tummy tuck, the skin from the rib cage down to the pelvic area is tightened, and the navel is moved up and secured in a new positon. A mini-tummy tuck is especially effective for people who look pretty good from the navel up. The main difference between the 2 procedures is that the mini-tummy tuck doesn't require moving or reconstructing the navel and the incision is shorter than the one made in a full tummy tuck. 

An effective non-surgical option that you may or may not be a candidate for is Thermage®, a non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin, and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. The procedure uses radiofrequency technology called ThermaCool that has been clinically proven to tighten and gently lift skin to smooth out wrinkles and renew facial contours. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities. And unlike laser treatments, Thermage® can be performed on patients of all skin types. Thermage® can be used all over the body, including flabby arms, hands, and legs. Now approved by the FDA for improving cellulite. Tighten and lift without surgery, injections, or downtime! 

Tummy buldge

+1

You should go see a plastic surgeon to be evaluated. The Dr. will likely find that you have a diastasis or separation of the rectus muscles. A standard abdominoplasty, perhaps with some liposuction, should be able to help you significantly.

Good luck

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Tummy Bulge with normal weight

+1

You are within a normal weight for your height. In spite of this, especially since you have Type 2 Diabetes, you could still have too much stored fat within your abdomen. Suck in your stomach and measure around it at the umbilicus. If this measurement is greater than 32 inches, then you need to significantly modify your diet and lose this excess intra-abdominal fat. This will, not only take care of your “bulge,” but will improve your diabetes. If, with your tummy sucked in, you are less than 32 inches, you need to do some tummy crunches to strengthen your muscles. Talk to a trainer. If this does not help, then an abdominoplasty to tighten the tummy is your only option.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Probable Muscle Laxity

+1

Hi Sangeeta,

It sounds as though you have a fairly typical diastasis ( spread of the muscles) after your pregnancies. Photos would be helpful, but on the surface it sounds as though you would need a standard abdominoplasty with muscle tightening and perhaps some liposuction. That will usually help the bulge. Being at a normal weight is always helpful.

The diabetes is an issue and would need to be well controlled in conjunction with  your primary care MD.

Good Luck!

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon