I Had a Blow out Fracture About 20 Years Ago. However, my Trapped Muscles Were Not. Is It Too Late?

I was 17 when I was hit in the face. I was told that I had a blow out fracture and surgery was preformed to install an implant on the floor. I have two questions. 1. The muscles were trapped and I have no upward or downward gaze in my left eye, is it too late to have this repaired? 2. How long was the implant supposed to last? It seems as if my eye is starting to sink. Please see picture

+1

Unfortunately, your questions can't be answered without knowing exactly what was done to repair your eye socket. Typical implants used today are permanent but can shift. Usually, at the time of repair, the muscles would have been freed but they can scar over time. Revision of this type of problem is very complex and you want an expert to try to repair this. Typically, an oculoplastic surgeon will be most experienced with this type of procedure and would be a great place to start with a consultation. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-trauma/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.