Is Blotchiness 6 Days After Erbium Deep Laser Resurfacing Normal? (photo)

On day 6 after laser resurfacing, the oozing has stopped, the redness has faded a tiny bit, I am peeling a little and itching a lot, but my biggest concern is the blotchiness that has appeared. My skin has light spots, darker pink spots, and red areas. I have no idea of what the normal healing process is, but I am very worried about the blotchy skin. Will this fade in time or is something wrong?

Blotchiness after Erbium Deep resurfacing laser

+2

Dear Patient,

Having uneven pink to red skin discoloration a week after resurfacing laser can commonly happen. Some patients take a little longer to heal and even out in skin tone then others. The pink hue can rarely last a month. If the redness, swelling and discomfort get worse instead of subsiding with time, you should visit your practitioner to ensure your skin care regiment is ideal for post-laser therapy. Good luck.

Hollywood Dermatologist

Erbium Yag laser resurfacing

+1

Erbium Yag is a more superficial treatment than fully ablative carbon dioxide laser but the treatment will still leave raw skin and everyone is different in how they heal. There may be full epithelialization (skin healing) in 7 days but it can take more.  Rawness, redness, and sensitivity is normal.  Blotchiness can occur for several weeks to even a few months or more after Erbium yag laser. Followup with your doctor is critical to ensure that you are healing well as very rare cases of scarring can occur even after mild laser treatments.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Is Blotchiness 6 Days After Erbium Deep Laser Resurfacing Normal? (photo

+1

After 6 days post Erbium Facial Laser Resurfacing you are still healing.  You need to give the healing process more time.  We always let patients know the first two weeks is the general healing time.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

If you have concerns following your erbium YAG laser treatment, check back with your physician.

+1

If you have questions or concerns regarding the healing of your skin following the erbium YAG laser treatment, check back with the doctor who did your procedure.  Everyone heals a bit differently.  If your doctor has extensive experience doing laser peels, he/she will know exactly what to do for you.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

What to expect after a laser resurfacing peel.

+1

You are still in the healing phases of laser resurfacing.  Any questions or concerns during this time need to be addressed by your physician because your description could be normal or it could be worrisome -- it really depends on your exam and what your physician normally expects after laser resurfacing.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon