Bloody Phlegm After Rhinoplastty?

I have been coughing up phlegm with blood for almost 2 weeks now after my rhinoplasty. Is this something that I should be concerned about, I had my surgery almost 2 weeks ago. I had my surgery in a different city that I live in so it's hard for me to go to the surgeon and for him to check up on me. Can i go to my primary physician for help?

Can expect bloody phlegm after rhinoplasty

+2

Coughing up blood tinged phlegm can be expected after rhinoplasty, especially if there was a functional component to the surgery performed at the same time (such as septoplasty, turbinate reduction, or sinus surgery).  I recommend using saline sprays to help irrigate  the nose during the immediate postoperative period.  Active bleeding is a concern you need to notify your physician.  Allergies can also cause blood tinged phlegm. I would recommend having a follow-up with a physician.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coughing up Bloody Phlegm after Rhinoplasty

+1

While some bloody phlegm is common a few days post surgery it is not very common two weeks post surgery. I would contact your surgeons office and discuss this occurrence for further direction from your surgeon. I will assume he would like you to go in for an examination either by himself or a surgeon he may contact in your area. I do surgery on a lot of patients from out of state and certainly city and I typically call someone in their hometown to set up follow up appointments in the event of any unforeseen concerns such as yours. Your attending surgeon will probably have you start on a saline rinse for you to supply moisture to your nose and airway! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Bloody Phlegm After Rhinoplasty?

+1

I have many Rhinoplasty patients who do still have bloody phlegm several weeks out. Mostly in my patients who have had septal work or had there inferior turbinates operated on for breathing issues. Usually this is from a very dry airway. You should uses saline spray rinses several times a day to break up clots as well as keep the airway moist. If you have active bright read blood that is not normal and you should let your surgeon know as soon as possible and be seen locally by the appropriate physician.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Bloody Phlegm

+1

Go see a Head & Neck Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon today.  You should not be having "bloody phlegm" two weeks after your rhinoplasty.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bloody Phlegm After Rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon that some rhinoplasty patients cough bloody phlegm after their surgery; the bleeding does get trapped with the phlegm.

However, if the bleeding worsens then I recommend that you seek an examination by an ENT wherever you are in case you were not able to reach your surgeon. That being said, you should keep your surgeon in the loop of what your recovery process.

Finally, I advise you to clean your nose with a nasal saline spray which will enhance your recovery pace.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS