Will Bloodshot Eyes After Eyelid Surgery Fade?

Even though it's small, I have a red blood shot in my right eye following upper and lower Blepharoplasty.

I am on day 8 after surgery. Eye sight was blurry but it went away. Bruising is still present but decreasing. Skin turned a bit yellow. Will the bloodshot go away? Thank you.

Bloodshot Eyes after Eyelid Surgery?

+2

The blood shot area will likely go away within the next 1 to 2 weeks.

White part of the eye can bruise

+2

if the white part of your eye  (the sclera) is bright red it may be that some blood crept up onto the surface of the eye. It is not dangerous and should resolve in a week or so. 8 days ir quite early. All bruising goes alway. Good luck!

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising after eyelid surgery

+2

It is normal to have bruising and bloodshot eyes after blepharoplasty.  Although, it does not alway occur, it is certainly possible.  It takes time for the body to heal and resolve these finding. 

Amir M. Karam, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bloodshot after surgery

+2

Dear Bloodshot

This is not unusual especially if you have had a transconjunctival blepharoplasty on the lower lids. Don't worry as it does go away as the bruising will. It takes time for the body to breakdown the blood under the skin and this is why it goes through a series of changes in color. Give it another week and I am sure you will look great, and if you are still concerned, contact your plastic surgeon.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after eyelid surgery

+2

Following eyelid surgery it is common to have a good deal of bruising. When the bruising occurs beneath the skin around the eye, it appears as purple and blue, then fades to green, and finally yellow. When the bruising occurs beneath the scleral surface of the eye it appears as bright red (bloodshot). The redness will gradually recede without changing color as the bruising resolves. Some doctors and patients find that taking Arnica before and/or after surgery may be help to accelerate the resolution of bruising, however this has not been definitively proven. As you are already at day eight after surgery it won't be much longer before all of the bruising, including the bloodshot appearance, disappears on it's own.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Bloodshot Will Fade

+1

Yes as all bruising will eventually fade so will your bloodshot eye. It takes your body some time to clear this blood away. This isn't unusual, especially if you had a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. If you are still concerned, contact your plastic surgeon.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon