No Blood Work Was Requested for Explant, Normal?

I had an appointment for an explant and capsulectomy surgery, but the Doctor never requested any blood work, EKG, or my GP's clearance. I'm 55, and need to have 28 year old Silicone textured implants removed, above the muscle. Then, when I showed up for my surgery and was nervous and crying, they cancelled the whole thing. I went to a lot of trouble and preperation for this, and am now back to square one. Confused about them not requesting blood work, as every other surgeon I talked to did?

Preoperative work up

+1

The indications for certain preoperative labs, ekg, clearance etc, depend upon the health of the patient, type of procedure and type of anesthesia used during the procedure.  Commonly, if your are healthy, a capsulectomy and implant removal would be done under twilight sleep and you would only need to have an ekg and good medical history taken prior to surgery.  This may vary depending upon the facility though.

Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

Breast implant removal ( explantation ) with capsulectomy is a major surgical procedure.

You will need a full history and physical examination by your family physician and full clearance. you will need full blood work and EKG as well.

Make sure the Facility is accredited as well.

Pre-operative Workup Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question. I'm sorry to hear about the stressful experience you have had.

You will find that every plastic surgeon and/or surgery facility will have different “protocol” regarding preoperative workup. In other words, some physicians/surgery centers require specific laboratory, EKG, or medical clearance for patients above a certain age;  some do not.

I would suggest that you pick your plastic surgeon carefully,  with a lot of attention paid to his/her safety record. If you are more comfortable with a surgeon who does ask for specific bloodwork or other preoperative workup,  then choose a plastic surgeon who does so.

After all, you are undergoing non-emergency surgery;  you should feel comfortable ( as much as possible)  with the surgeon and the " safety/precautions” taken prior to surgery. This comfort level will minimizes the chances of significant emotional  ups and downs before and after surgery.